4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inbox Review Rights

I'm fairly baffled by the behavior of a user's mailbox. I'm hoping writing this will help me to sort it out in my head.

We're a law firm and this attorney's computer in question has a new XP SP2 computer with Office 2003. His legal assistant (LA) has access to Inbox from her Outlook's folder list, with review rights to view his messages. She also has editor rights to his calendar, contacts and tasks. This morning when she tried to open a message in his Inbox it said she didn't have the rights to do that. But she can open other emails in his Inbox. This message she can't open doesn't appear to have any kind of encryption or anything else that sets it apart from other messages. She says he's had some odd behavior happen before but she's not giving me any specifics.

I can access his Inbox and messages from within my Outlook, but then I'm an administrator with a lot more rights than she has. I logged into his computer and poked around. When Outlook opened his Inbox was set to Message with AutoPreview view, meaning it had the preview pane on the right for him to see the messages that way. When Outlook opened it opened to the message she's having trouble accessing. I changed his view to Message and closed his Outlook. I thought maybe this had meaning, but she still can't open that message. She's closed and reopened Outlook and reboot her computer a few times to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

I'm posting this under Exchange forum because wouldn't it have something to do with his mailbox on our Exchange (2003) server? Has anyone else seen something like this happen? Suggestions?
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Inbox Review Rights

If you are using cached Exchange mode try deleting his .ost file. It will be recreated the next time Outlook is started. NOTE: I'm not sure but you may have re-establish delegate rights.

You could also try running scanpst or scanost depending on which file type Outlook is using.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inbox Review Rights

We do cache Exchange mailboxes but she's not accessing the cached mailbox on the attorney's hard drive. Just the same I removed and rebuilt the ost on his computer and as I expected it didn't make a difference. Wouldn't she be accessing the attorney's mailbox on the Exchange server? Wouldn't the scanpst and scanost amount to the same thing? i.e. fixing the cached mailbox on the attorney's hard drive? Hmmm. Or maybe what I need to do is remove and rebuild the legal assistant's ost because she's the one having the problem. I'll give that a go next.
    Daisy