Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Footnotes in columns (Word2000)

I've searched the lounge and read through the various suggestions for keeping footnotes together, but can't find a hint of solving the problem my way (which may not be possible0.
    The attached zip file contains a document with text held in a four-column table in landscape orientation on legal paper.
    I have inserted 7 footnotes.
    As I insert the seventh footnote, the last row of the table bleeds onto the next page, annoying me intensely because I see spare white space to the right of my short-text footnotes.
    I would like to avoid the table bleed-over and somehow set the footnotes in columnar format.
    I am trying four-column tables after experimenting with four-column text and appropriate column breaks.

It seems a shame to resort to reducing font size of text in the table to accommodate footnote text when there is so much space available.

I'd be grateful for any clues. I suspect that there just isn't a solution, and that Word can deal only with page-wide footnotes/endnotes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Footnotes in columns (Word2000)

Hi Chris,

Converting the footnotes to endnotes seems to work in this case, but you still end up with the notes spilling over onto the next page. Of course, that conversion won't do for a longer document unless you start breaking pages with footnotes into Sections so that you can put the end notes at the end of each page Section, if you follow what I mean ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What was the objection to using text columns?

You could combine a table and text columns - set the document to 4 text columns, then make the table floating and adjust the column widths. The footnotes will use the text columns.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> you still end up with the notes spilling over onto the next page.
    Right, and in my case, with short footnotes on a legal document in landscape mode, I still end up with acres of empty space which, to my mind, could be safely occupied with footnotes, were we able to format the footnotes area into columns.

> put the end notes at the end of each page Section, if you follow what I mean
    I do follow you. In deed, I am looking at a page-assembly process, for which each page of the final document will be assembled as a separate documents (Page058.DOC, Page059.doc, Page060.doc etc) so to some extent I have a degree of control over ecah page. As an example, 'If number of pages .GT. one, we need to do something about it".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> What was the objection to using text columns?
    I started with three text columns, then realised that I wanted the three columns, being different versions of the same text, to have the paragraphs aligned alongside each other, in the vertical sense, so that the eye could run from left to right, tracing the development of a paragraph through different versions.
    So I placed a single-column table in each of the three columns.
    Then I started writing a macro to make the corresponding cells in each table the same Row Height.
    Shortly after starting, but not completing that, I scrapped the 3-column method and decided it was simpler to use a 3-column table in a single-column document.

>The footnotes will use the text columns.
    I hadn't thought of a floating table. I'll give that a try.
    I suspect that I'll run into the same problem. If I embed footnotes in column 2, they will occupy column2, but will not make use of the acres of space under columns 1 and 3.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> make the table floating
    There seems to be some awkwardness in this method.
    I made the table floating, and resized it to fit the page, then began inserting footnotes.
    There appears to be no consistency in the placement of the footnotes; in my (attached) example, column 2 is heavily-laden with footnotes at the expense of the remaining columns.
    Sometimes adding a footnote seems to sweep the lot under the edge of the table.

I'm going to think about manipulating my own footnotes (shudder!) as a means of keeping track of where they are.
    Or else generating the footnotes via Word, then converting them via VBA to my own text entries across the foot of the page; or in a separate table, so that the document would have a text table above, and a footnote table below.

In all of this I recognize two thinsg:
    (1) there is a physical limit to what (text & footnotes) can be fitted ona page
    (2) Maybe I should not be using footnotes at all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, this doesn't work very well. Creating your own footnote management system doesn't look attractive to me. I'd suggest either living with Word's limitations in this respect, or avoiding footnotes in a situation like this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks for the feedback.
    I can't put this down to another shoddy "design error" on MSoft's part. My case is somewhat unique, in that my footnotes in this issue will tend to be short, and the page layout is legal-landscape. That produces a "best-case" scenario for making better use of white space, but it may not be a general case at all.

Since I want tables for ease of use of equalising row height (so that paragraphs line up across the sheet), I'll probably do my own footnotes, and just march them, serially left to right, across the lowest row in the table after a blank row at the end of text.