Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Out of Memory ERROR

On two ocassions now, I have received an "Out of Memory. . . close some programs, etc." error. I only had a couple of applications running; different ones each time and my System Resources were at 75%.

This is very strange as I often have several "memory hungry" programs running, e.g, PSP, ULead SmartSaver Pro, etc. with no problem.

Again, this has only happened twice; the second time this morning and for no apparent reason. I only had Outlook and ICQ running at the time. I know someone will ask how much memory I have installed, hahaha.. so it's 64 megs.

Can someone tell me what usually causes this error to happen? and what to check to fix/prevent it?

Thanks as always!

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

Re: Out of Memory ERROR

There are 3 types of system resources: System, User, and GDI. Most out of memory errors are exhaustion of any one these.

W98 includes a "Resource Meter" in Programs|Accesories|System Tools. I run this all the time to keep track of resource status. It includes a very nice tray icon that quickly tells you if you are running low.

If you do not have this utility you will have to install it via Control Panel|Add Remove Programs|Windows Setup|System Tools.

The other major cause of out of memory is low disk space. I usually use a pre-configured contiguous swap file to avoid this problem. Can give you details of how to set one up if needed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Yes, "System Resources" are important, and as you might have overlooked, at the time I got the warning of Low Memory, my Resources were at 75%.

Secondly, I use "TClock.exe" and have it configured to monitor my User and GID Resources, which make up System Resources. A simple "mouseover" of my clock, and I am able to check both of these. :-) Great little program by the way!

Thirdly, I too have configured by Swapfile and run a constant size, just over 2 1/2 times by physical memory of 65 megs, which is 170 megs. Never had any problems of any kind before of this nature. And I often run far more memory hungry programs simultaneously than what I had open on these two occasions.???

Remember, the warning was "Low Memory"! and not Low Resources. They are unrelated as you surely know.

Pilgrim
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

There are actually 3 pools, well 6 if you count 16bit and 32bit pools separately. I use resource meter because it continuously (once per second I think) updates status in the tray.

I have seen problems where programs can put transient demands on the system which, by the time you try to check them, seem to be Ok.

Resource meter also handles this case by posting an alert message when any of the resource pools DIP below 10%.

BTW, I have frequently seen "Out of memory" when the real problem is out of resources.

I am not familiar with the TCLOCK utility. Where can I get more information on it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Thanks again. Yes, I know about the Windows Resource Meter, hehe. I just happen to prefer the TClock.exe much better as it is far more useful besides being a "meter reader". :-)

You can check it out here:TClock.exe. It works, it's neat and it's free! 'Nough said? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Now, you got something positive to look at. . . what about my "Out of Memory" error problem? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] There doesn't appear to be an obvious reason on the surface why I should have received this message twice now, according to what I shared above. hmmmmm

The Pil
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

Great set of articles.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

FYI, the forum supports markup tags for URL's and other things. Markup tags enable a subset of html like functions without running the risk of real html on the board. The forum HELP , section 17, describes how to use them in detail.

eg.
    <A HREF="http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm
    " target="_blank">http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm
    </A>
    is an active link instead of a text reference.

ileacy

Tx for the utility.[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] Have downloaded it and will try it out later.

As far as your primary problem goes. I am at a loss now.

Read through all the references in the other post. Very good description of all the issues. But, did not get any new ideas other than specific reference to ICQ as problem child.

You seem to have something running in background on your system which is causing other problems. You might use MSINFO32 to record a snap shot of your system and tear it apart for more details.

Sorry[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]