New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Data from External file (Excel 2002 - 2)

Funny problem, when I open a file with external data references..... it no longer ask to update from the external file....when I change a value it seems to update without asking or without the file being open.....its like the files have open access....

I reloaded Excel checked the Options-Calculations and everything seems ok.......same as my other computer but it works correctly and will not update unless the external file is open.
    Comments????/

Will

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Data from External file (Excel 2002 - 2)

Select Tools | Options...
    Activate the Edit tab.
    Tick the check box labeled "Ask to update automatic links".
    Click OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Data from External file (Excel 2002 -

Thanks, I sure looked for the option, it must be on by default because in 10 years this is a first.....now I'm worried......does this mean that after clicking this I don't need to open the file for formula lookups. I have always open the external file during my work.......testing now it seems that the lookups occur with it closed....it doesn't seem to say that in the help file.....
    Why have it ask if it does it without opening other than speed of recalculation with the external file open.

Again thanks, Will

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting Data from External file (Excel 2002 -

Excel can resolve and update references to other workbooks without opening them. But of course, it works faster if the other workbook is open.

It can be useful to be prompted, for example if you open a workbook and you know that the external workbook it refers to is not available.