Thanks

Block Active-X (IE7)

I run custom security settings where all I have all download settings for Active-X controls set to prompt. SO when a site attempts to load an Active-X control, I get a message asking "Do you want to allow software such as Active-X controls and plug-in's to run?" With my settings, the only way to block this message is to add the site to the restricted sites list, but this causes a whole lot of other problems for some sites I go to regularly but don't want to allow them to download Active-X controls. Is there a registry hack or some software that would allow me to block active-x controls for only a specific site?

Thanks

Re: Block Active-X (IE7)

I'm not sure whether they changed this, but... in IE6, you could set different options for downloading ActiveX controls for the running ActiveX controls. The message you posted sounds as though it is for running an already installed ActiveX control (e.g., media player, Flash player) rather than for downloading a new one.

The registry stores the zone setting for different domains/host names. There are no individual settings for domains/host names, just zone-level settings.

The only other way I know to regulate ActiveX controls, other than IE's zone security, is using external software. For example, Outpost Firewall Pro has an active content module that lets you block/unblock ActiveX by site. Of course, the first time you visit this will generate a prompt from the firewall, so...

Thanks

Re: Block Active-X (IE7)

This is specifically for www.myway.com, which I use as my home page. I don't know what htye use their active-x controls for,probably advertising. I use Comodo firewall and they don't have an active-x control blocker though this sounds like a good idea that I will submit to them. I could create another security zone that I can dump pages like this into. But I'll probably install FF on my work laptop which will solve the problem since FF doesn't run active-x by default.