5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DCHP Server Software

I'm looking for a free DCHP Server program that can be set up to assign a specific IP address to a specific client (ReplayTV) on my home network. My router does not have that specific assignment feature. Does anyone here use a software DCHP Server or know where I might look. I've done some internet searches and haven't found what I want.

Thanks, Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DCHP Server Software

Bill,

What kind of router do you have? Many times, the same IP will be assigned through the same ports, or devices will have a 'default' IP they revert to.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jeremy,

My router is a Linksys WRT54G. It can do Port Forwarding and a few other things but it cannot be set up to always assign the same address to a particular device. My home network consists of a desktop PC and a laptop and a ReplayTV (similar to TiVo). I am trying to use some software in my laptop that is designed to communicate with the ReplayTV and a fixed IP address in the ReplayTV is necessary for that. However, the ReplayTV has a bug that causes it to send out a request to the DHCP Server in the router even though it is set up to use a fixed IP address. So, I need a DHCP Server that will always supply the same IP to it.

I did a google search and found a free DHCP Server program (DHCP Turbo) and downloaded it. It is a very powerful DHCP Server and has so many features I haven't been able to figure out how to set it up. I'm hoping I can find a simpler one to use since I really don't need very much in the way of features. I thought this might be one place where I might run into someone who has used the same kind of thing.

Thanks,
    Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill...

This maybe out of the realm of things you'd willingly try, but there is a project in the wild that will install software onto your router, and allow you to configure it to do this, and may more things.

The OpenWrt Wireless Freedom project installs a Linux based OS (can be installed from Windows) onto the router. Once installed (it replaces the factory default information), you can then telnet, ssh, etc... into the box, and configure away to your heart's content.

I have not tried this myself as I do not have this router, nor do I know anyone personally who has done this. I only offer it as a suggestion for you to try.

Hope it helps!
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

I've read a lot about that project since you suggested it. It looks really interesting but I think I'll try to use a software DHCP Server that I've downloaded and finally found instructions on how to set up. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably come back to this.

Thanks,
    Bill