3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FormText Fields (2002)

I seem to have changed some setting within Word that has caused templates with FormText fields to act strange. I was trying to fix some templates that I did not create that contain FormText fields where the displayed text appears to have been changed within the document not the properties of the field. I tied to remove the fields and put new fields in with the display text similar to what was there before. I protected the template, saved and closed. When I try to create a new document using the template, as I type in a protected FormText field the text that I type is inserted before the field prompt text instead of replacing the prompt text.

This is now the action that takes place for all templates. When other people use the templates, the fields work as expected.

Anyone have ideas as to what I did to my Word to cause this activity.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FormText Fields (2002)

Can you post a small screenshot (max 640x480 pixels, .png format works best) of a document where it went wrong?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a sample attached.

As I said any template that has prompts for the FormText fields (in this template there are [ ] around the prompt) is now giving me this issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The 'normal' behavior is:
    If you click inside a form field, the text to the right of the insertion point will be pushed to the right as you type.
    If you tab from form field to form field, each field will be selected in its entirety, so typing will overwrite the existing text.

What happens when you tab from one form field to the next? Is the entire field selected, or do you get a blinking insertion point at the beginning of the form field?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I tab to the next field, the field is selected but when I type, the text is inserted to the left of the field prompt. This just recently started happening. I expect that there is a setting or feature somewhere that I turned on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of any setting that would cause this. Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all.

There must have been something in the Data Registry, because Word is now working as expected in templates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My guess is that the "Typing Replaces Selection" option was somehow turned off, which would result in that exact behavior occurring only on your machine.

I've seen many strange things in my 14+ years "supporting" a group of semi-power users. Changes to settings can occur unintentionally just by accidentally hitting the Alt key as one types, especially if, like me, one types fast but needs to periodically look away from the monitor to make sure your hands are in the right place! It's not a stretch to imagine a scenario where the user accidentally hits the Alt key instead of, say, the Shift key, before typing the word "To". Assuming that the Tools: Options menu was on the "edit" tab (from a previous manual operation), those keystrokes (Alt+t,o,spacebar) would toggle the "Typing replaces selection" option. I've done things like that myself, where I look up, see an unwanted menu, hit the Escape key, and move on, hoping nothing too bad was changed!

Just my two cents.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I like your theory about the "Typing replaces selection" being my issue. Since I fixed the issue the hard way, it would have been easier to just check the feature back on. Sometimes the answer is just too obvious.

Thanks to all.