New Lounger
    Thanks

Question on data dump from barcode scanner (Access 2K)

Hi all, great resource...long time reader, first time caller....er, poster

I work with an extremely simple inventory database that we use to track individual items and who they are assigned to. The items have a simple unique 6-digit numerical connotation, and each personnel has an unique 7-digit ID that ALWAYS starts with two letters.

We use an older PSC scanner utilizing Code 3 of 9 barcoding.

When we go through our yearly physical inventory, we typically have one person scan the personnel ID barcode and then scan the inventory item they are in possession of. Unfortunately, the scanner must scan in the personnel ID every time before each item that they "own". I then update the inventory by querying the "datadump" table with the master inventory list.

The datadump basically looks like this (two columns):
    DE99878 001234
    DE99878 003246
    DE99878 007987
    SM12376 004646
    SM12376 004650

The problem that I cannot figure out is how I can eliminate the need to scan in each person EVERY time I scan an item that they "own", and still be able to have the process automated to update the proper inventory ID with the proper Personnel ID.

I must be tired or something but, does anyone have a solution for me to be able to dump the data like this:
    DE99878
    SM12376

And have the data appear as described above?

Anyone have some code lying around that may assist me in this endeavor?

Thanks for your help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Question on data dump from barcode scanner (Access 2K)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

See the attached database. It contains two sample tables: a table tblRawData with an AutoNumber field and a single data field, and a table tblProcessedData containing a PersonnelID and an ItemID field.
    The module basCode contains a procedure that will fill tblProcessedData from the records in tblRawData. The code requires a reference (in Tools | References...) to the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library.

If you want to adapt this code to your situation, you'll have to substitute the appropriate table and field names.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Question on data dump from barcode scanner (Access 2K)

Thanks for your help, Hanz.... this worked great!