Star Lounger
    Thanks

Visio templaes (2003)

Most of the flows I produce have swimlanes. Unlike my prior version (2000), the swimlane template defaults to a nasty blue fill, all lines are blue. I'd like to change the template, have white fill, all lines black. I have NOT been able to find a way to do this. I can import and use my 2000 templates, but I can't get Visio to default to the 2000 swimlane template which didn't have the blue lines and fill.

Does anyone know of any way to change that template?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Visio templaes (2003)

Have you tried modifying the style definition used on the swimlanes object?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't...in fact, I'm not sure I know how to do that. I'll have to check the online help and see if it tells me.

Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further information. I have determined that ALL objects, rectangles, decision boxes, whatever, have the blue fill, blue lines. I checked the online help, it CLAIMS (falsely, I think) you change the default appearance. I followed the directions, only to find the "default" what I already wanted, but that's not what happens when I drag the object onto the drawing grid. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you able to attach a file to let us see what is contained in your documents? I don't know that I can solve the issue without seeing what is in a sample file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to crop huge image that caused horizontal scrolling.

Andrew, I'm attaching (I hope) a sample Visio cross functional flowchart as a jpg (since I can't post a vsd file). As you can see, the Function swimlanes all have shadows. All lines for the process boxes and connection arrows are blue, and the fill is blue. This is the default. It's a real pain to have to select everything and make the lines black and the fill white. According to the help file, to change the default formatting:

1. Make sure that no shapes are selected.
    2. On the Format menu, click Text, Line, Fill, Shadow, or Corner Rounding.
    3. Select the formatting options you want.

I followed the instructions and it didn't work, nothing on the flowchart changed, if I created a new one, the lines and fill are still blue.

Do you know if there is ANY way to change the default? I'd be most grateful to find out. I really appreciate you making the effort to understand and help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

OK, now I can see what you are talking about.

To change the look for the current document - Right click on nothing and a context menu will appear. Choose Color Schemes and then select 'Black and White' or a different scheme if you want to. This should change all the objects on your page at once (unless you edited them locally).

Judging by how easy it is to change the look - do you still need to change the default look?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment deleted by HansV since it was much too large and looked exactly the same as the previous one. Please stop attaching such huge almost empty pictures!

Thanks for the info, Andrew, it's not exactly what I wanted, but it's close enough I can live with it. I've attached a jpg showing what I'd like as my default look. I was ignorant of the color scheme option, thank you for pointing me to me. I created a new color scheme with the appearance I want. Next question, is there any way to assign this as the default (or replace the current default with this one)? That would be REAL cool!

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To change the template to a different default colour scheme you need to open the vst file and change the theme there.

Open Visio and choose File>Open and navigate your way to your own Visio templates directory. On my machine the Cross Functional template is located at
    C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeVisio111033XFUNC_M.VST

Now change the colour scheme to your own preference, save the file and close.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK...I created a new color scheme (I named it standard). I opened the template, applied the Standard color scheme and saved it as you suggested. When I open the template, it has the color scheme (white background, no shadow, black lines). However, if I create a new flowchart using the cross functional template (New > Business Process > Cross Functional Flowchart, either from the New icon or File > New), it still shows up with the default color scheme.

What I'd like to know, is WHERE does Visio store user-created color schemes? I've found a bunch of .css files corresponding to the color scheme names, but Standard isn't one of them. I've looked at a couple of the css files, and if I could locate where Visio stored my created color scheme, I could do an end run by renaming a couple of style sheets!

Thanks for all your help, Andrew - and I apologize for accidentally attaching the same jpg as before. The one I THOUGHT I was attaching was different from the first.