3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double data entry (2003 SP2)

I am commencing planning on a new database for a research company requiring double data entry, that is, two typists, keying in the same data from feedback papers, and any differences should be highlighted and generate alerts and auto emails to the head researcher.

Does anyone have any tips, or best practice ideas for these requirements?

As always, much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double data entry (2003 SP2)

I haven't ever actually worked with such an animal. I thought they had gone out with green screens on mainframe terminals. The idea of double data entry is to catch bad records by comparing them. However, its glaring weakness is that you don't actually know which record is right, so someone has to review both.

In early database apps, data was committed when the operator moved to a new screen or even a new field and there was no way to go back and fix it. Since that isn't true of decently built Windows apps, it's largely a waste of time. You can build all sorts of validations into the form itself, even forcing an operator to reenter the same information a second time. I'm afraid you may not find many Access developers who have ever been asked to create something like this.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it is a strange request but they need the data verification.

I thought I would setup a login form for each typist to enter login and enter a validation code thus allowing all data entry to be kept in the one table. Speed is not the issue so it won't matter if the validation process on each field takes a little longer. All they want to know is that there is a discrepancy so the boss can log in and check it.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like data entry with punch cards that was used in tabulating equipment over 50 years ago, one operator keypunchs the original card from an input document then the second operator rekeys the same card in verify mode from the same input document.

Who originates the feedback papers?

Once head researcher checks it, who makes the change?

Will the researcher have the feedback papers?

Seems like an inefficient way to proceed, however I have been quilty of that as well.

If you can code a prototype db with Charlottes suggestions and demo to the researcher, maybe you can come up with a compromise that will accomplish the needs using current technology.

Check out the following:

Rogers Access Library
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/TableOfContents3.asp

CompareTwoTables.mdb ( intermediate )
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/downloa...reTwoTables.mdb

This sample shows how you can programmatically compare two tables and write out the differences to a third table

HTH, John

Thanks

Out of curiousity, where is the data coming from (i.e, file type) and have you considered loading the data automatically.

If you take a step back and look at the big picture, there may be some easier ways to do this.

For example, I had some folks here that receive several hundred data forms every few months and had to do manual data entry to get the data into a database. I asked them where the forms came from and they said that a client emails the files to them after they already puched data into the form. When seeing these were word docs, we were able to create bookmarks in the main form and had the clients use these revised forms. They look exactly the dame but the bookmarks could then be read automatically via code (no second keypunching and no errors via data entry). Saved a lot of time too. What took several days to manual key punch now loads in minutes as the program opens every file and extracts the bookmark data to a table.

You may also be able to load data based on the form you are receiving by scanning it. There are some good programs that can recognize the data. Even then, it would be easier to do this and review the data then re-key punch it.

As you can see, I hate doing extra data input. Takes too long and always has too many mistakes. If you can provide an example of the data form and type, we may have some ideas on automating it.

I definitely agree with Charlotte. If two people input data and there are discrepancies, then which is correct. Also - what if in the rare occurence both input the same data field the same but incorrectly, then you would not receive the error message even though it is wrong.

Good Luck.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John and Gary. The number of research records won't be that large at only about 350 patients and the head researcher will take ultimate responsibility for accuracy. Gary, your point about both entries being wrong is valid but I guess no-one will ever overcome the human factor and as a small company, the client can't be too fussy about being labour intensive. John, I think the two tables approach might be better. As mentioned in an earlier post I was sticking to one table only but two will make save me reinventing validation code, thanks to Roger's Access Library.

Cheers