New Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible Hyperlink (Outlook (Word) 2003 )

I'd like to make a simple invisible hyperlink in an email, but I just can't get there. I've tried the obvious; turning the print white, but it won't change. I've had no luck searching; can anybody help?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Hyperlink (Outlook (Word) 2003 )

Welcome to the Lounge!

I don't clearly understand, what do you mean by "invisible". I presume you are trying to use white font color on white background, are you?

With WordMail as your editor, you can edit the HTML source directly if you have the Web Scripting component from Office XP installed. You must add the HTML Source command to your toolbar (View | Toolbars | Customize). Normally, Word does not display this command unless you are editing an .htm file.

When HTML source is opened, edit your hyperlink, for instance, as follow:

<html><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <font color="#FFFFFF" face="Times New Roman" size="2"><font color="#FFFFFF">INVISIBLE LINK</font></font>
    </body></html>

Title will appear when you hoover a mouse pointer over the hyperlink; hyperlink text ("INVISIBLE LINK") is invisible and necessary for holding a hyperlink place.

Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, kaplinb,

1) My post was pretty lacking... sorry.

2) I'm using Vista Home Premium, Outlook 2003 (how do I get the Web Scripting component for 2003)?

3) "I presume you are trying to use white font color on white background, are you?"

Yes, exactly. I don't seem to be able to do much at all with fonts in Outlook, although I can in MSWord. I can't do backgrounds in either. Is that how it is in 2003, or do I have some bad configurations?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

By default, HTML Source Editing component in Office 2003 is "Installed on First Use". That means, it will be installed if you call it.

If you install Office from CD, make sure you have the CD ready.
    Open Word, from View menu select Toolbars > Web, then click View once again and select Toolbars > Customize.
    Customize window will open. Click Commands tab and scroll down Categories list (on the left) until you see "All Commands". Select (click on) it. Then scroll down Commands list (on the right) until you see "ViewHTMLSource" command. Drag it and drop on the Web toolbar.
    Close Customize window (click Close button) and click "HTML Source" button on the Web toolbar. The following message will pop up: "Microsoft Office Word can't start HTML Source Editor. The feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?"
    Click Yes button and follow the wizard. If you will be prompted to insert your Microsoft Office Installation CD, do so.

But if you updated your Office installation (for example, installed SP-2 and the latest security patches from Microsoft Updates webpage), the chances are your Office installation would not recognize its own CD anymore. In that case copy your Installation CD to a separate folder on your hard drive and point Office Installer to this folder.

That's why I would recommend to install HTML Source Editing component prior to open Word.
    From Control Panel open "Add or Remove Programs" applet, scroll down "Currently installed Programs" list and select "Microsoft Office _ _ _ Edition 2003" (whatever edition is installed).
    "Change" and "Remove" buttons appear. Click Change. Microsoft Office Installer window will open.
    On the first screen, select "Add or Remove Features", then click Next.
    On the second screen, check "Choose advanced customization of applications" checkbox and cilck Next. On the third screen, scroll down "Choose update options..." list to the bottom and expand (click + sign on the left of) Office Tools, then select (click on) rectangle icon on the left of "HTML Source Editing" and from pop-up menu choose "Run all from My Computer. Click Update button.
    Follow the wizard - insert the CD or point the wizard to the folder with Office source files. When "Update is sucessfuly complete" message pops up, close Add or Remove Programs applet and open Word.

Good luck!