New Lounger
    Thanks

2K Control Panel Lost

I did a dumb thing with Tweakui and removed Control Panel from the Start Menu. Is there any way to restore this or to access Tweakui other than thru the Control Panel.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2K Control Panel Lost

John,

Assuming you haven't uninstalled it, see if you can find TWEAKUI.CPL on your system anywhere, and put it in the WINNTSYSTEM32 directory.

If you mistakenly deleted the CPL file, then you should be able to re-install it right over the top of the existing version, which would restore the control panel icon.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Click Start | Run and type:
    control.exe tweakui.cpl
    Hit Enter
    (It also works in any .cpl files). Another shortcut to Control Panel is in My Computer folder on Desktop. Was it deleted also?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark,

I can find control.exe and tweakui.cpl but cannot execute. I get a message that ... "operation cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Contact your system administrator"
    I set up a new user and everything is fine. Just can't run from old user which I probably will delete.

Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Give this a shot. THere is a Microsoft article that is very similar but is written for Windows ME - wlthough I suspect the same applies to you as well.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/8/49.asp>Q287849 - Unable to Start Control Panel Tools After You Use TweakUI to Disable "Show Control Panel"</A>

Follow the instructions there to see if you have this policy, or something like it, in the registry. If you don't feel comfortable editing the registry, you can still look, without changing anything.

Most likely you will find this under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER tree in the registry since it does not affect the additional user profile you created.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,
    That did the trick. Thanks.