Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless network between 2 buildings

I'm trying to set up WiFi sharing of a high speed ADSL connection between two home computers. I've done tis before but there are two compllications here. The first is that the Internet connection is in the home and the other computer is in a workshop about thirty feet from the house. The second complication is that the workshop is made of sheet metal. My cell phone doesn't always work in the shop but I think that's more because the property is in a small village and possibly not close to a cell tower. Would one of the new "N" type routers work better? Any pieces of advice?

Bruce

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless network between 2 buildings

Does your connection have to be Wi-Fi?

I have had good results within my house using the mains wiring as a pseudo piece of Ethernet cable via a couple of Home-Plug devices, where the WiFi signal would not go through a water tank and at a sharp angle to a wall. There's a fairly straightforward writeup here (but of course you'll have to translate the devices and prices to your own location)...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thaks for your reply.

It doesn't have to be WiFi but that would be the easiest. The power-line solution would be good if both computers were in the same building but the workshop has a separate electrical system. Running an ethernet cable between the two buildings is a possibility but I'm not sure about external cabling and the problems of weather, stringing a line or using an in=ground cable.

Bruce

Thanks

I think that what you are going to have to do is install some type of Point to Point antenna system. 30' going through sheet metal can be a challenge.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know much--another way of saying I know nothing--about point-to-point antenna systems. Can you enlighten me, please.

Bruce

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

While you're waiting for John, who seems to have had some experience in this area and I have not, here's a few to look at (all same place):

Wireless Router Range Extender
    WiFi Antenna | Mobile Magnetic Mount Wireless Antennas
    WiFi Antenna | Wireless Desktop Antenna

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Oh! I was hoping your workshop and home were on the same mains electricity circuit. Ho-hum!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

WE have buried a plastic pipe or even a old garden hose and then pulled the CAT5 cable through this. Just make sure that the pipe or hose enter both buildings, so water can not get into it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

I am in the process of laying out an inexpensive point to point antenna system for you complete with a drawing and a shopping list. I will post that later today. The ones that I have done, have been using equipment from RAD Data Communications and are expensive.
    One solution that you might look at in the meantime is a the Linksys WRE54G Range Extender
    This really would be a simple solution for you provided in your case that you 1: Install high gain antennas on your router, and 2: you can get both your router and the Range Extender near a window because of the sheet metal in the out building. Keep in mind also that you will loose about 50% of your signal strength using one of these. Antennas are the key in any wireless application: Case in point! I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. The router sits on a desk next to a window. Using the boxed antennas I was not able to get out to my deck which is less than 30' away. Reason: Low E-Glass. Once I replaced the boxed antennas with high gain antennas I have excellant coverage almost 50' away through the glass.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you and everybody else who has replied. I really appreciate your help.

Bruce