2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Cannot Map Network Drives (XP - SP2)

I have a home network with a Netgear router served from cable internet and two Win XP2 computers, both with the latest Msoft patches. About two months ago I suddenly could not see the drives on the other computer, I suspect as a result of a patch. I have checked everything I can - made sure that file and printer sharing was operating, tried mapping and creating network links in both directions - but neither computer can see the other. I am at a loss. Please can someone suggest a solution?

NoelM

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Map Network Drives (XP - SP2)

I'm going to move your question to the Networking board since I don't think the problem is with the OS. In addition, there is a StarPost in the Networking forum ( <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> ) that you should probably read through to see if a double-check of your system against Stuart's steps will pop up the answer. Sounds like you don't need to worry about most of the things in the starpost, but I'm hoping a gnat will jump out at ya! Let us know if you spot something (or don't!)...

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thank you very much BigAl,

I went through the checks suggested in the StarPost - all went fine (I will not bore you with all the details as they are now irrelevant) until I got to the line to make sure that the guest account is enabled. No problems on my computer, but on my wife's computer the "net user guest /active:yes" command led to a long delay. When it finally said all OK - all the shares were back! I have no idea how the guest account got shut down - my wife has a limited user account so I don't think she could do that, and I certainly did not. Main thing is that the problem is solved.

Thank you very much indeed.

NoelM

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good deal, Noel. Glad to see you get it resolved.