2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing dbx files into Windows Mail (OE6/Windows Mail)

Hi, Can someone help please? I have read and followed the instructions for importing dbx files into windows Mail to the letter ( backup dbxs/ folder.dbx etc etc.) However when I try to import the file sinto Windows Mail on Vista Business OS I get an error everytime. The error starts "No message can be found......." . I have noticed when I check the properties on the dbx folder I have created called oldmail that the read only box is coloured blue but not checked. I have tried changing this to white/unchecked and it appears to accept it but on returning to oldmail folder properties again the read only box is blue again, is this possibly causing the problem as I know the mail folder must not be read only or is this just a red herring? If it is a red herring can anyone suggest why I keep getting this error message and why the import is failing? Thanking you in advance. Cheers John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing dbx files into Windows Mail (OE6/Windows Mail)

Guys, can someone help this is driving me to despair!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does this help? Note the remarks in red.

Don't worry about the "blue" Read-only check box for the folder - that happens for every folder, you can ignore it. You should make sure that none of the .dbx files is read-only, you might try ticking the check box then clearing it again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, first of all many thanks for your reply and sugggestion. I did walk through the oehelp link and noted the double path entry (I tried this initially before posting on wopr), I have double checked all the dbx files and they are all unchecked i.e. not read only. I am at a lost to explain why this is not working, the error message when using the import wizard (selected message/oe6 option) is " No message can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. please select another folder or try closing another applications that may have files open". Do you possibly have any other suggestions for the cause of this import failure? Cheers John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't use Outlook Express myself, I have no idea. I hope that someone else can help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Hans no problem, hopefully someone wlse can shed some light on this Vista/OE6 issue. Many thanks,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a workaround I downloaded some freeware software, OE Viewer, that allows me to read my old dbx files, not ideal but it is better than nothing!