Thanks

Windows Explorer Favorites (Vista Ultimate)

When running Windows Explorer today, I noticed there were no entries in the "Favorite Links" area. I'm pretty sure there were a few entries here in the past. I can't seem to find a way to re-populate this area. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this and some hints as to what usually resides here?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer Favorites (Vista Ultimate)

See Working with the Favorite Items in Vista Explorer for an overview - I suspect you need to restore your default 'favorites' by doing a right-click an empty spot in the Favorites links area and selecting Restore Default Favorite Links.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just drag & drop whatever folders you want there.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

Leif,

Thanks for the link to that article. I found it very informative. I had previously tried the right click > restore, but it didn't appear to do anything. Please see my reply to Jeff below for the really weird stuff.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Jeff,

I had tried the "drag & drop" trick before posting but nothing happened. When I "dropped" the folder, it just disappeared leaving nothing in the "links" area. But given your advice, I thought I would pursue the matter further.

I created a test folder called "A Test Folder". I "dragged & dropped" this folder to the "Favorite Links" area in Windows Explorer. Nothing. The area remained empty. I then did a right click > "Open Favorite Links Folder" in the "links" area. Surprisingly, the test folder shows up in the links folder (see attachment).

So, I have a Favorite Links area in Windows Explorer that is empty. I have a Links folder that appears to contain all the shortcuts that should show up in Windows Explorer, but don't. Since we're dealing with shortcuts, I thought of the advice you gave me in <post#=644,561>post 644,561</post#> to remove the shortcut arrow on shortcuts. I did the following registry tweaks as described in the post:

<hr>Go To Start>Run> And Type : regedit it will open the Registry Editor, Use CTRL+F To Find the Following Keys and Delete the 'IsShortcut' value from them.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTpiffile
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTInternetShortcut<hr>

Your advice produced the desired effect - it removed the arrows from the shortcuts on my desktop. I wonder if it also contributed to my current problem?? I would like to undo the changes to the registry to see if this resolves the problem, but I'm not too sure on how to do this. Any advice?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Your advice produced the desired effect - it removed the arrows from the shortcuts on my desktop. I wonder if it also contributed to my current problem?? I would like to undo the changes to the registry to see if this resolves the problem, but I'm not too sure on how to do this. Any advice?<hr>
    Paul,

Your idea might have some merit to it, i.e., a relationship between deleting the Registry keys to remove the shortcut arrows and your empty Favorites (links) shortcuts. The only logical advice I could give would be to redo the Registry entries. I've attached a zip file with 3 screenshots of all the relevant entries I have on my system for the 3 locations in the Registry where the "IsShortcut" value appears in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive.

Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks

Jeff,

Restoring the registry entries resolved the problem of the empty Favorite Links, but restored the shortcut arrows. Absent another solution, it looks like I'll have to live with the arrows in order to get the links, or sacrifice the links to get rid of the arrows. Decisions... decisions...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Paul,

This might be just what you are looking for to remove the shortcut arrows AND not impact the Favorites links: Remove arrow from the Vista desktop shortcut icons.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator