Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Charts (2007)

I have installed my Office 2007 on a desktop and a laptop. Everything works fine except the Excel files on the laptop. I have several files with multiple "sheets" the first one being the spreadsheet for financial data (stock prices day by day) with 5 or 6 'sheets' display the data in ribbon or area charts. The desktop displays the spreadsheet and charts just fine in either 2003 or 2007. The laptop, however only displays the spreadsheet sheet and not the rest of the chart sheets. I even upgraded my laptops RAM to 1.2 Gig (the maximum for the Dell Inspiron 2200). Other than it having a 1.4 Celeron chip set as compared to the desktop's 2.4 Intel chipset there are no significant differences in the machines. I'm baffled.

How can I get the 'extra' sheets to display? I have tried both 2003 and 2007 converted versions of the extension (XLS and XLSX) with the same results. Also have tried different files with similar formats and the same results - spreadsheet displays - charts (as separate sheets) do not. Excel 2003 is fine on both machines.

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Charts (2007)

Could you attach a stripped down version here?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Lounger
    Thanks

Attached is a file called TEST.XLS Created a long time ago and modified some names to protect the innocent [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] It has a spreadsheet and three "charts" saved as individual sheets.
    It was created on the desktop and saved under Excel 2003. It displays all the charts on the desktop using Excel 2003 and 2007. I tested it on the laptop and it works using Excel 2003 but, as in my original query, the three sheets of charts will NOT display in Excel 2007. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2007 on the laptop to make sure everything is the same. I don't think there is anything wrong with my files. I think there is something wrong with the setup on the laptop.

Grrrrrrr

Al
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the laptop have a lower screen resolution or smaller Excel window size? If so, the three chart sheet tabs could simply be hidden behind the horizontal scroll bar. See screenshots below. You can drag the separator between the sheet tabs area and the horizontal scroll bar to the right (or left).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (6.8 KB, 2 views)

Lounger
    Thanks

That is not the problem. The tabs show just fine. When I click on them all I get is a blue background screen. I've even have adjusted the zoom adjustment in the lower right hand corner of the Excel 2007 screen to no avail. They just flat out aren't displaying only in Excel 2007 and only on the laptop. It's quite exasperating.

Al

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, it might be a problem with the video card on the laptop. First check that the drivers for the video card are up-to-date.
    Next, try the following:

- Open the Display Properties control panel (either by right-clicking an empty part of the desktop and selecting Properties from the popup menu, or through Start | Control Panel)
    - Activate the Settings tab,
    - Click Advanced.
    - Activate the Troubleshoot tab.
    - Drag the Hardware Acceleration slider a notch or two to the left.
    - OK your way out.

If this doesn't help, restore the original setting.

Lounger
    Thanks

No luck. The E2007 displays all the ribbon and the sides, bottom, etc. It just won't display the second and subsequent sheets. Only the spreadsheet itself is displayed.

Well, I'm about to uninstall Office 2007 on the laptop and go back to the "good old days".

I might ask Microsoft (or Dell) but once I do that, I have only 90 days to get further support.

Thank you so much. It is not a "hill to die on".

Al Bentley

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know about XL2007 since I refuse to install any software that contains the Registration/Activation Wizard (I don't trust MS programmers to not include a bug that might not allow me to use a product that I have paid for), but XL2K and earlier used the printer driver to create some screen displays (no, I don't know why). So, in addition to checking the display driver, you might also make sure that the laptop has a printer installed and that the drivers are up-to-date.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

There IS a printer driver installed but it's on a wireless network and not directly connected. I can try hooking one up just to check it out.

Some things just will remain mysterious I guess.

Thanks. If it works, I'll leave a reply.

Al

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As long as a printer is installed, it does not have to be connected. Excel just uses the driver to create bit maps for display. Check to make sure that the driver for the installed printer is the most current version.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Your file loads fine on my system (Excel 2007 on its own).

I'd advise to try setting up another printer (doesn't matter if you don't even have it attached or even own one!). For a test I installed a HP Deskjet 710Cand set that up as the standard printer. Worked fine.

If that helps, you should check out if there are any driver updates for the printer you do use.

If it fails, try changing your display settings, especially color quality. Mine is set to "Highest, (32 bit)".
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Well, Well, It finally WORKS!!

The problem was, as you guys said, a bad printer selected for the default printer. Previously, I had just selected a different default one and nothing changed but when I deleted the primary one and selected a different one as default, VOILA, the charts appeared.

Simply amazing and I'm so glad that there are folks out there in WOPR land who stepped right in to assist.

As we said in the Navy - BRAVO ZULU!

Thank you so much.

Al Bentley
    Winter Haven, FL

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like XL2007 is still using the printer driver to create display bit maps. Glad you got it solved.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

No, actually all the credit goes to you and Jan Karel Pieterse who noodled it through. I'm passing this tidbit on to everyone I know should they ever encounter the problem. I would have NEVER figured it out without the help of "Woody's Lounge" and you guys. I'll bet there are other "corners" of Office 2007 that use the same rendering.

Thanks a million.

Al

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

But it WAS Legare who suggeted looking at your printer driver, so his is the credit...
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com