New Lounger
    Thanks

Styles and fonts (2003)

I manage an editorial system which is based around Word templates and custom styles. I have noticed that, in certain circumstances, paragraphs in these documents will revert to the Normal style. The weird thing is that the paragraphs look like they are styled correctly (in the expected font, etc.). I am trying to figure out what these "certain circumstances" could be. How does Word deal with a document being opened on a PC that does not have the required fonts? Will it try a best match style? Or is there another cause which I am missing completely? Thanks for your advice.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Styles and fonts (2003)

If a document uses fonts that are not available on the PC where the document is viewed, it'll substitute the font of the Normal style, but you can change this in Tools | Options..., Compatibility tab, Font Substitution... (you'll get a message if no fonts are missing).

You might check Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word to see if you can find the culprit.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It actually looks like the Normal style now has the settings identical to a custom style. What user action could assign the custom style settings to the Normal style?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Activate the Styles and Formatting task pane.
    Right-click the Normal style and select Modify from the popup menu.
    Make sure that the check box labeled "Automatically update" is off (clear). If it is on, changing the formatting of a paragraph will automatically change the style definition.