3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Splash Screen Revisited (Access 2000)

I am working through Access2000 VBA Fundamentals (MSPress). In one lesson I create a splash screen. At first I thought that I had done something wrong but upon firing up the app several times I noticed the splash screen flash past.

The screen is simply a .bmp with the same exact name as the .mdb stored in the same location. I understand that if one uses a form for the splash you can adjust the On Timer property. How can you slow down the bmp? Is there a registry hack to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Splash Screen Revisited (Access 2000)

It sounds like you're using a bmp to replace the Access splash screen that appears when you first launch Access. How long that appears is controlled by the speed of your CPU. If you want a splash screen form *inside* the application, you can use the timer to control how long it displays, but that has nothing to do with the bitmap replacing the built-in splash screen. The form launches after Access has started, while the bitmap displays during the executable startup.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The book said that the bmp would be visible for several seconds while Access loaded. I wonder what CPU they were running when they wrote the book. I have a 650 MHz laptop and the splash screen is a mere blip. On a high end P4 or AMD you'd never see it.

Thanks for the information.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This probably won't help you, but it does stay displayed (at least in Access 97) while you enter your id and password if you are using workgroups. Since the id and password prompt ends up on top of the splash screen, you'd have to play with the bmp to get it to look nice with the prompt on top of it.

Thanks

Better to simply kill the startup screen entirely using the /nostartup argument in your Windows shortcut, and then make your own splash screen. The On Timer event works once Access starts.