2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cells populated based on initial selection in List (2003 sp2)

I am creating a form in MS Excel which will include several drop down pick lists. We would like to automatically populate some of the cells based on the item picked in the first list. For example, say we have a row of 5 cells that each contain a unique drop down list. If the person filling in the form chooses "Drums" from the first list, we would like the description, type, code, and class for drums to automatically fill in with the correct responses.

Is this something that can be done? If so, how difficult would it be? I know next to nothing about VBA, so unless it would be something very simple I probably couldn't do it.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells populated based on initial selection in List (2003 sp2)

You say that the second to fifth cells contain dropdown lists, yet you want to populate them automatically. Should the user be able to select another item from the dropdown in one of these cells after it has been filled in automatically?
    If not, you don't need a dropdown list, and you can use lookup formulas in these cells.
    Otherwise, you'd need some code in the Worksheet_Change event, in the worksheet's code module. This could be simple or complicated, depending on what exactly you want. It would help if you could provide a more specific, detailed example of what you want.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells populated based on initial selection in List (2003 sp2)

I am attaching a simple example of what I'm trying to do. The list of items in the "Type" column would be placed in a drop down list. The Descrption of Articles, Class, and Code would be populated based on which of the items was chosen as "Type." I'm not sure how lookup formulas work, so I will research that a bit tomorrow morning, as I'm about to leave work for the day. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells populated based on initial selection in

Hi there

I have used VLookup getting data from a table in the worksheet. The following attachment should assist
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jezza! I finally have a chance to get back to this form, and you're solution looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Give me a shout if you want help with the syntax.
    Jerry