Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Secure Thumb Drive

I have a thumb drive that has a partition that can only be accessed by running an executable program from it called Securrel.exe which opens up a window that then allows a password to be entered to access the secure partition. It has always worked on this laptop until I had to take it in to get some work done on it to allow it to access the Internet which it had stopped doing. They tell me they ran some cleanup programs and cleaned up the Host file. Now when I click on and try to run Securrel.exe it says it can't open the program and if the problem continues I should restart the computer which obviously have tried many times but still can't get the Securrel.exe to run.

Any ides how to once again make this work. By the way it works on other computers which rules out a problem with the thumb drive itself.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Secure Thumb Drive

Can you reinstall the "Securrel.exe" security software on the laptop from the original file?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

The "Securrel.exe" is a program that is inside a Windows folder on the thumb drive and is to be run from there. It doesn't get installed you just are supposed to double click on it and it opens up a window that allows you to enter your password to open up the secure portion of the thumb drive. It just no longer runs on the laptop when I double click it but it does run on every other machine I have tried it on - 4 others.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Have you tried it on a different USB port on the same machine? Have you checked with the 'repair people' to make sure they did not mess with any hardware? Have you tried to uninstall the USB port and let XP find it again?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I have done and tried everything you mentioned except uninstalling the USB port. I'll call the repair shop and find out how to do that and give it a try. The way it is now the USB port finds everything that isn't in a secure folder so I never gave it a thought to uninstall it. I'm not sure how that is done but maybe the shop can talk me through it.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

See General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP for more troubleshooting help and howto remove/reinstall usb controllers.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you
    H Lewton