Thanks

Flash drive prompt (Win/XP SP2)

Whenever i plug in a flash drive, I get a prompt asking what I want to do? Sometimes, I get a checkbox at the bottom left that says "always do this action". Most of the time I don't see this checkbox. Regardless, it doesn't seem to matter. Even if I DO check the always repeat this action (and I always just want to open the folder to see the contents), Win/XP seems to ignore what I previously entered anyway.

Is there a registry hack to always make flash drives open an Explorer window and be done with it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Flash drive prompt (Win/XP SP2)

Do you get asked when you insert a flash drive which you have previously plugged in and checked "always do this action"? I suspect each flash drive is identified uniquely and so plugging in another will not invoke a previous response as it is seen as a different piece of hardware.

Thanks

Yes. Anytime I see that prompt, I always check open in explorer. However, it never seems to stick and th enext time, I just see the generalized prompt with all the options to select from. And this is a relatively new install of Windows too, just maybe 6 weeks old or so.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What would happen if you have the drive inserted, clear the annoying popup and open Windows Explorer. In the left pane, right-click the drive and select Properties. In the Auto Play tab, set it up like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Well I have tried messing with that auto-run menu. But nothing changes. I have tried checking the setting ask me each time and I have also tried setting default actions. Same old, same old.I have ot manually open an Explorer window to get to the mounted flash drive. It's a big pain in the rear. I guess all I can hope is that Win/XP SP3 will fix the problem.