3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ADO connection (Excel 2003)

In an Excel workbook I have standard code to connect to a SQL Server database using ADO. It works fine for all users but one.
    On her computer, when it tries to execute the <pre> cnConnect.Open</pre>

line, it immediately errors out. The error description is "Error in the DLL" (error number: -2147220999).
    Her Tools > References are identical to everybody else's, and I tried reinstalling MDAC but that made no difference. I was assuming that the DLL in the error message was referring to the ADO library (actually a TLB file - msado27.tlb).
    At this point I'm stumped. Anybody have any ideas as to how to proceed? I'm wondering if there's another system file on her computer that is either corrupted or is incompatible maybe.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADO connection (Excel 2003)

1) Does it work if you set a reference to Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 or 2.8 instead?

2) Does it help if you re-register MSADO:
    - Select Start | Run..
    - Type <code>regsvr32 C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemADOmsado27.tlb</code>
    - Press Enter or click OK.

Thanks

I always set the reference to the library that corresponds to msado15.dll as Microsoft seems to keep that file updated for purposes of backwards compatibility. Not sure whether that will help you or not!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you (and Hans) for your responses. The user *does* have a copy of msado15.dll installed and that gives the same error. BTW, the full text of Err.Description is "Automation Error. Error in the DLL". I tried referencing older libraries (e.g., 2.1 that Hans mentioned), but still get the same error. I also tried Hans' suggestion of explicitly registering the DLL but that didn't help either.
    All I can think of is to ask her to reinstall Office (or just Excel(?)). Do you think that might fix it?
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's unlikely that the error is in Excel or Office, I still suspect MDAC. I'd download and install the MDAC Component Checker (Genuine Windows validation required), to see if you find problems.