Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Crash (Pro)

Outlook crashed while downloading 249 emails accumulated while I was away from home. I now cannot start Outlook as the initial screen says "cannot start Outlook Window. Outlook set of folders could not be located and set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator."
    I have tried the repair option, but this gives "Fatal Error" and does not complete. I then uninstalled the whole Office suite, and re-installed it to the default folder. All components installed correcly, but Outlook still generates the same error message as above. How can I get rid of the gremlin and recover my folders and normal operation ?

I have checked for removal Office components in Control Panel, and have repeated the removal and reinstallation of just Outlook but to no avail

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Crash (Pro)

This sounds like the sort of thing you should contact your ISP about as soon as possible. They are custodians of the mountain of email that is still in the pipeline, and they are the people who can help you most, and especially so if they hear the explanation from you in person by phone if possible. If the problem is at your end, they will also be able to help you with that.

What was the weather like? We had a ferocious thunderstorm here at about that time, and I not only couldn't reach a server, the phone itself wouldn't work. When the computer says that a server cannot be reached, it may mean exactly that.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Peter for your suggestion. What I have discovered is that my mail is intact and I have retrieved it via webmail, but Outlook still refuses to function despite uninstalling all of Office 2003 and re-installing several times. All the other Office components function normally, but Outlook simply loads the opening screen without the data files, and then closes with the error message described in my initial post.

I have confirmed that the pst data files are present on my hard drive, but I have not been able to fix the problem despite doing a virus scan and repair Outlook process.
    Regards

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I am relieved to learn that you succeeded in retrieving your mail. It's worth remembering that you are paying for a service when you have an ISP, they typically have 24-hour toll-free telephone support, and they are the first place to run at any hour of the day or night if it looks like you have the sort of problem you described.

Now that you have the mail, the second thing to ask yourself (you can spare us the answer) is if you made a backup before going on vacation. Acronis TrueImage is the choice of many in this forum, and it will allow you to back up everything while retaining your new data, such as new email. Don't forget that you will have updates, such as the latest Outlook Junk Mail filter, that will be required once the system is restored, but the idea of restoring from backup is that you want to restore the system to a state in which it was functioning normally before the problem arose.

That is not to be construed as an endorsement of a particular product but merely of the importance of having backups. Something has gone wrong, and restoring the latest backup is preferable to a re-install because you will be starting from a familiar configuration that you know was working instead of something that requires a lot of work and probably a gigantic number of updates to reconfigure to your tastes, if you can even remember how you had it set up (beyond the fact that it worked for you).

Outlook can be a complicated program, ranging from modest home arrangements such as my own and probably yours, to the sort of thing that requires a full-time administrator to look after. Slipstick is the premier online source for information and advice, but I suggest you review your backups first, since you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you re-install Office in its entirety. Better to restore it all from backup, and use that as a starting-point. As long as you have those *.pst files you'll be in business.

Don't forget that you can remove Outlook from Office, leaving the rest of Office intact, and then re-install Outlook on its own.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Appears that your Outlook installation is standalone, not on Exchange Server, correct?

Are your Outlook 2003 PST file(s) unicode format? If not, they may have run into file or folder size limits. After making backups of your PST file(s), can you remove the main PST from its usual location, and then restart Outlook, allowing it to create a new PST, and see if Outlook then runs OK? If it does, your preexisting PST is corrupted beyond scanPST's ability to fix it, and that may take a commercial product to fix.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Peter,
    I do have backups of my address book and other pst files - but not in a well organised way ! However my problem is that I only get the opening screen when Outlook loads and then the error message :

"Cannot open Microsoft Office Outlook.Unable to open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cou;d not be opened. The server is not available. Contact you administrator if this condition persists" (which it does !)

Thanks for the lead on Acronis and Slipstick. I have reinstalled the whole Office suite several times, and also just the Outlook component, but this has not fixed the problem. I have a home network and the problem is on the main desktop. However no server is present - just the ADSL router connected to the PC and ethernet and wireless to another PC and laptop.

Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Confirm stand alone, but I cannot establish format of the pst files. I have an excess of pst files around the place - 31 in all and some are oversized eg 261 Mb ! I have an automatic archive running and my search of the HD has flushed out a lot of ancient history. However prior to the crash Outlook was running normally - but I must add that the speed has been way below what it should be for a long time, so it is possible that file sizes are a problem here - but not triggering a crash.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

PST files are associated with programs other than Outlook, and specifically with CorelDraw (or PhotoPaint within CorelDraw). I have close to 100 pst files.

261 MB is a drop in the bucket as Outlook file sizes go, and that is probably your main file. If you're in that range Unicode is not necessary but you need to know about it and preferably convert to it if you haven't already. Chances are that you have been using it all along with knowing it (it was new with Office 2003). Unicode will allow you to exceed a file size of 2 GB. Once you are using Unicode be consistent and, like passwords, remember it when dealing with backups from the distant past.

How many users do you have? Each user (name) will have an associated Outlook.pst file, and each of those different files has the same filename. But wait, it gets better.

Do you have Outlook backup installed? It is available as a free download from Microsoft, and typically a user sets it to perform a backup according to a given schedule, preferably to a different partition, better still to a different physical drive, and best of all to external or removable media or a network location or online storage. Once again, each backup will have the name Outlook.pst but it will be a different file size from the original file, so you have to keep them in different folders. If you don't have Outlook Backup installed, I suggest you download and install it, because you have a gigantic amount of data saved in a single file.

If you import or export specific data, such as Contacts, from within Outlook, you will typically save it as a pst file, and if you fail to delete the file when you have finished with it, you may have leftover pst files littering the landscape.

What should you do in the short run? Outlook Express can handle email and might act as a test of your settings if you don't have it set to receive email, and there are free email programs, such as Pegasus, that you can install.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

As <!profile=peterg>peterg<!/profile> notes, 2GB was the limit with ASCII based PST files, so that isn't the issue. However there were some per-folder message count limits in ASCII format PST's, and you could have a problem there. <!profile=peterg>peterg<!/profile> has covered most of the issues except my earlier question remains - after you back up and detach the main Outlook PST file (and ignoring non-Outlook ".PST" files), and force Outlook to create a new one, will Outlook then run?
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Dear John,
    Sorry about not answering your question re creating new pst file. I have a problem in locating this file as i cannot get Outlook to run, but you may be able to help me locate the file in the local settings Outlook folder . I do have mailbook.pst with a very recent date and sized at 101 plus Mb which maybe the one.

Your suggestion if I understand it correctly is to remove this file from the folder as a backup, and then try to open Outlook to force it to create a new blank mailbox file.

Please confirm this and I will give it a fly, but please note that I will be away from home for the next ten days so I will pick our dialogue up again in early June.

Many thanks for your advice John

Regards

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can locate and use an Outlook PST file anywhere you want to *, but the default location is:

Cocuments and Settings<username>Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

If you did not maintain it in the default location you'll have to figure out where it is based on the last date you were able to access it. For belt-&-suspenders purposes I'd make two backups of every *.PST file you think may be the one. Then delete or move the most likely candidate and see what happens when you try to start Outlook. If it complains that it can't find the PST, follow the prompts and let it make a new one (and make sure you choose unicode layout, which is the default.). Good luck.

That may still leave you with a heck of a lot of lost data in your PST. If scanpst.exe won't fix it, look in Slipstick.com for recovery programs, and Google newsgroups for reviews by users of those programs. My advice assumes you don't have some fatal hard drive flaw developing.

(* I keep my corporate laptop PST in Cocuments and Settings<myname>My DocumentsMail - everything in Cocuments and Settings<myname>My Documents is encrypted ... FWTW. Like Milgram's subjects, I do what the company tells me. But I also do the same with my personal laptop.)
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Dear John,

Your advice taken and I have restored a back up mail.pst, and most of the folders are now present and working. I now need to do some serious housekeeping to tidy up the old files and back up the current ones !

Very many thanks for your much appreciated diagnosis of the problem and its solution.

Regards

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I can recommend another interesting source to you for Outlook matters, and that is outlookpower

They have a newsletter to which you can subscribe, and they also sell add-ins that might interest you.