3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Figure covers Watermark (2003 SP2)

I have a document with figures and text. The figures are formatted to be "Format > Picture > Layout > In line with text" since the figure needs to stay in its text location (and to avoid mysterious Word movements when text is inserted or deleted).

When I create a text watermark via "Format > Background > Printed Watermark > Text Watermark > default options", the document figures are in front of, and blocking, some or all of the watermark (depending on figure size). This is a problem, especially for whole-page figures.

Is there a way to bring the watermark to the front , so it overlays the figures?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Figure covers Watermark (2003 SP2)

Not as far as I know. You'd have to place the watermark in the document itself instead of in the header, but that is messy and unattractive. You'd have to repeat the watermark on each page, and it would interfere with editing the document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks for your response. That's what I was afraid of.

In searching the Lounge for posts on this subject, and in your response to me, I believe I've read that the watermark is anchored in the header. My document has many sections with headers that are not Same as Previous, but the watermark shows on all pages no matter what the header.

What is this "anchored in header" business, anyway?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> What is this "anchored in header" business, anyway?

Every graphic has an "Anchor". This marks the point in the text which defines the position of the graphic. The graphic can be a long way from its anchor, but it's position will be measured relative to the anchor. If you delete the paragraph holding the anchor then the graphic will also be deleted.

You can see these anchors if you use Tools > Options > View > Object Anchors, and then select a graphic.

When you add a watermark, Word creates a graphic which has its anchor in the Header of each page. If you have many headers then it adds identical graphics to each header.

I hope that helps make it clear.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Each floating object (such as a picture) "belongs" to a paragraph. If you tick the check box for "Object anchors" in the View tab of Tools | Options..., and select a floating object, you'll see a little anchor symbol to the left of the paragraph the object belongs too. If the paragraph moves to another page because text is inserted or deleted, the object will move with it, and if you delete the entire paragraph, the object will be deleted with it.

A watermark is implemented as a floating object in the page header - it "belongs" to a paragraph in the page header. If you insert a watermark into a document, Word will create such an object for each section whose header is not linked to the previous one.
    Objects in the page header are always displayed behind the body text.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, StuartR and Hans.

This info is essential if I need to delete the Watermark from a particular section; say, an appendix or something.

With your info in mind, I tried that out:
    1) Tools > Options > Print and Web Layout options > check the Object anchors box.
    2) Then in a particular section, View > Headers and Footers > cursor over one of the watermark letters, select it (double-click), note for which header paragraph the anchor symbol appears in the left margin. (The space between letters in a Text watermark doesn't appear to allow watermark selection.)
    3)Then select the paragraph text, NOT including the paragraph mark, and copy it to the clipboard.
    4) Then highlight the entire paragraph INCLUDING the paragraph mark by extending your selection, and delete it; viola! The watermark vanishes from that section.
    5) Now I can insert my copied text back into the header and finish with an Enter.
    6) Even if the header still shows Same as Previous, the watermark is gone for that entire section.
    7) If I highlight the entire paragraph INCLUDING the paragraph mark, delete it, and paste it back, the watermark returns.
    8) It appears that there can be only one watermark in a document; when I try adding a different watermark in the section that had none, the different watermark proliferates in all sections.

Very helpful info.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> 8) It appears that there can be only one watermark in a document

No, each section can have its own watermark, but the Format | Background | Printed Watermark menu option always affects the entire document. You'll have to edit the per-section watermark manually. See the attached example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

Using the little Word Art panel that appears when the watermark is selected. Nifty!

And it's possible to do other things to the selected watermark via some of the options on the Word Art panel, such as change the angle of rotation within a particular section. And one that I know I will use in the future: Change the color of a selected watermark for a particular section only, to call attention to that section or designate it for some special attention.

Watermark power to the masses!