3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Next Step . . . (2007)

We have an local Access Database that is used by 50 users, but we're thinking of making it available to the entire organization (about 500 users). I realize that this isn't viable with Access' Jet Engine and GUI, so I'm wondering if anyone here has gone through this process and what the next steps they took were. I've researched this online; downloaded SQL Express & Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, etc, but I'm finding it a bit daunting and was hoping to get some training locally in SQL. However, I'm not really sure whether this is the best course, ie, I know I can Upsize our MS Access Tables, but I presume I have to redesign all the Forms & Reports using Visual Web Developer? Is this correct, or is there another way? Would I be better sticking with Access and getting users to log on via Terminal Services? Or should I drop Access completely and go down the path of redesigning our Database with Visual Web Developer, as stated?

Many Thanks for any advice anyone who knows about this or who has been down this road can offer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The Next Step . . . (2007)

You could transfer the tables from the Access (backend) database to a SQL Server database, and create links in the Access frontend database to the SQL Server tables. You can keep on using the existing queries, forms and reports in the Access frontend, although you'll probably have to do a bit of tweaking to get everything to work. If you give each user a local copy of the Access frontend, there should be no problem with 500 users.

The Upsizing Wizard can automate the transfer for you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I actually ran a test with the Upsizing Wizard about a month or two ago. It was a bit strange insofar as it created copies of the Tables and then created links between the Access versions and the SQL Versions. I thought this might slow it down if it has to use links for every operation it performs.

Nontheless, you think Terminal Services is a better option than recreating a Web Front end?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your users are not on a LAN, a web interface might be better than using terminal services. But it'll be a lot of work.