New Lounger
    Thanks

Word shuts down when opening foriegn document (2002)

When I try to open a document that is in a different format, (WordPerfect 9 or Word 97 for example) Word presents a box that says:

"Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I am then given the option to restart Word and restore the file. Also, I can send a message to MS detailing what the problem is if I so choose.

If I let Word restart and attempt to restore, the cycle starts all over again.

I have tried deleting the "~" file that is created when there is a problem. No help.

In poking around I found a button on the "About Word' dialogue box called "Disabled Items". Clicking on this I was presented with a list of documents that Word had had trouble opening. The list consisted of the documents I had been trying to open.

The message said that these documents had been disabled because they had prevented Word from working properly. I am then given the option of re-enabling them.

I did this and then restarted Word. It attempted to open the document again. Only this time, it got further into the process before closing down. By the third time it had almost completely opened the document. The fourth time, however, it barely got started before closing down.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am a somewhat forced convert from WordPerfect at home. (I must use Word 97 at the office so I am familiar with Word.) I have a whole lot of documents that I need to be able to access.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word shuts down when opening foriegn document (2002)

It sounds as if you may have disabled the converter. I am making the presumption that you are in a stand-alone environment. Click on Help / Detect and Repair. See if that helps.

If not, insert your CD and update your installation making certain you have installed the converter to run from your computer.

HTH
    Karen

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

Thanks for the response. I had not, to my knowledge, disabled the converters but I followed your suggestions anyway.

Detect & Repair - No change

Update installation, making sure the converters were set to run from my computer - No change

I even uninstalled and reinstalled the whole office suite - No change.

I know the files are not corrupt because WordPerfect 9 and Word 2000 will open them.

What next?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did you install the converters?
    Most are NOT installed by default and must be selected to be installed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, I installed the converters. I did a custom install so that I could chose between what 'ran from my computer' and what would be installed after first being selected. I set it up so that the WordPerfect 5 and 6, and Word 95 and 97 converters would run from my computer. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You listed "WordPerfect 5 and 6" but version 10 is out. You need to make sure that you have ALL of the WordPerfect converters installed. The Office CD may NOT have Version 10, since it is a NEW release.
    My wife uses WordPerfect 10 and has used most earlier versions, has not had any problems opening them in Word 2000

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

WordPerfect has not changed their file format since version 6 (one of the reasons I really prefer it). So the version 6 converter should still work.

I did not have any trouble converting with Word 2000. However, Word 2002 is the one giving me the problem.

I am still hoping that someone can give me ideas of where else to look.

Thanks,