3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hide rows if background colored (XP / 2003)

My spreadsheet has names of students who did or did not submit an assignment. Those who failed to submit are marked with a 'M' in col A, and those who have left the course are marked by a brown background color in the cells of the row. I should like to filter so as to show the 'M' students, except where they are brown (since former students wont have submitted any assignment). So I need someting like: 'show all rows marked 'M' unless they are formatted with a brown background'.
    Thanks in advance for any help with this. Frank

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: hide rows if background colored (XP / 2003)

The easiest solution is to indicate the students who have left the course with a code, either in the same column A, or in another column. You can then use AutoFilter to select the students who haven't submitted an assignment but haven't left.
    If you don't want to enter this code yourself, you can use formulas for this, utilizing Chip Pearson's Functions For Cell Colors.

If you don't want to use AutoFilter at all, you could write VBA code to hide the rows - post back if you want this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: hide rows if background colored (XP / 2003)

Thanks Hans, I used auto filter to select out the codes in col A, and being left with the colored rows thought there must be an easier way. I have put a code in another col, relating to the row color, which worked okay. The link to Chip Pearson is great, I shall look into that for future ideas. Thanks Frank