Thread: Terminate

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Terminate

I have a program installed which I wish to un-install but I cannot find where it is stored on the pc. It was installed within the last year and the software allowed me to terminate files by right clicking and choosing "Terminate", with a small round icon similar to a radiation sign, from the drop down menu. Was then prompted that if I chose this option then the file would not be recoverable. I did a search in the add/remove programs but did not recognise it there. I also searched for files or folders with the word 'terminate' with no results. Even tried looking in my downloads without success. Found this was a good piece of software but now there will be children with access to the pc and would prefer that this program was removed just in case they permanently remove files by mistake.
    Does anyone know the name of this program and how to un-install? Thanks for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Terminate

You should be able to right-click this menu entry and look at its Properties which might give you a clue to where it lives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, had already tried that and all I get is a message "Are you sure you want to delete? File will not be recoverable". Does not show any other options by right clicking.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Er, right-clicking an item in a context menu (right-click menu) simply runs the item. Explorer right-click menu items are stored in the Windows Registry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is this the one perchance: <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kbarticle.aspx?id=KBA-01072">KBA-01072: Using the Search and Recover

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You may be able to find the context menu item in the Windows Registry (using RegEdit).
    If you do, you can 1) export the registry entry, just in case, then 2) delete the registry entry.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant. Thanks for that information. Another notch on your belt. It was indeed the search and recover program with the added option to terminate. Would never have found that without your help. Did not associate the recover program with permanent termination of files. It now means I do not have to uninstall the program, only uncheck the box and should I require to permanently delete a file I simply check box, use and then uncheck again. Shall be more at ease now when the children are on the pc.
    Keep up the good work. Regards.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think you meant to thank Al?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For the benefit of future Loungers searching for this topic, here's the software from Iolo: <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.iolo.com/sr/4/">iolo Search and Recover

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al. Still getting familiar with posting replies.