5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outer Join in Recordset (Access 97)

Can an Outer Join (LEFT JOIN or RIGHT JOIN) be used in a Recordset that will be used in VBA code as an input recordset? If so, how do I avoid the "Item not found in this collection" error when I try to access a field that is not there in that particular record?

I hope I'm explaining this clearly enough. Obviously, if an SQL statement uses an outer join, then there are some fields in the resulting output that are present in some records and not present in other records. I haven't found any way in VBA code to retrieve the data from those fields when they are present and still avoid a run-time error when they are not present.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outer Join in Recordset (Access 97)

If you use an outer join, the fields from both sides will be available in the recordset, so you shouldn't get "Item not found in this collection". If there is no matching record, all fields from one side of the join will be Null.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the Null fields when there is no matching record on one side of the join is certainly what I had hoped would happen. I have an actual query that works fine. I changed that query to SQL view and used copy and paste to move the SQL to the VBA module and did a little line folding so there can't be any misspelling or that kind of problem.

I just played with it a little more and what I get is a Compile error, "Method or data member not found". That is the error I was getting at first too. I'm actually not sure how I got to the point where I got the run-time error that I reported in my original message! I've experimented with a number of things and I must have had a different problem then. For what it is worth, the record source on the side of the outer join that has a lot fewer records is a saved query.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Hans.
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd have to see what you are playing with. Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you manipulate SQL in the VBA editor it is easy to introduce small errors that can have a major impact. To test for this put in
    debug.print SQL after the SQL is finalised, but before the line that tries to use it.

You can then copy the sql from the immediate window back into a new query and see if it works, and if not , try to find out what is wrong.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is a great way to check it. Thanks, John, for the suggestion. I try it.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if I can make a practical reduced version to show the problem. I'll have more time to think about that in a week or two and maybe I can come up with something.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill