New Lounger
    Thanks

programs on start up (Windows XP)

I've recently installed a weather thinggy. I like it being in the system tray and I can click it to see the little screen open with today's details if I want to. However, it also opens every time I start the computer, slowing down the process and forcing me to close that screen before I can do anything.
    I tried searching the ms website (as previously recommended on this site) and I found something about going to the start up registry. but as I tried to follow the steps I found I didn't have the right things to click. I was doing Add/Remove Snap-ins; Available Stand-alone Snap-ins... I was supposed to chose Group Policy and it wasn't there. Perhaps I had no business in there in the first place. But if anyone can suggest how I can get this screen not to be part of the start up I would appreciate it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: programs on start up (Windows XP)

There are several places where startup programs can be specified.

First, use Windows Explorer to look in the following locations:

Cocuments and Settings<username>Start MenuProgramsStartup

and

Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup

where <username> is your Windows user name. If there's no shortcut to your weather thingy there:

Select Start | Run...
    Type regedit and press Enter.
    Navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionRun

and look in the right-hand pane. If that doesn't help either, look at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Many programs have prerences or options that accesible by right clicking on the system tray icon. You can usually set what to do at Windows startup.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, gosh! That was fast. And two replies! I tried the right click on the icon before but I guess I was unsure about changing things. This time I did it and saw 'modify settings' which led me right to getting it off the start menu. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am still looking at this other method because I have a feeling not all programs are as cooperative. I found the Programs file under Start menu under Documents and Settings. I found some odd things in there like Turbo Tax which I don't think I need year round. Are these programs I find in this file the programs that automatically start when I turn on the computer? And if so would I just delete them from this file or would this affect anything? Some of the things in there are shortcuts so I guess that's not a problem.
    (confused as usual)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The shortcuts in the ...Start MenuPrograms folder correspond to the menu items in the Start | (All) Programs menu. Removing such shortcuts removes the items from the menu, making it more difficult to start the corresponding programs. These shortcuts are not started automatically, with the exception of those in the ...Start MenuProgramsStartup folder.
    So in general, you shouldn't remove items from ...Start MenuPrograms.