New Lounger
    Thanks

update query, autofill query, other, or neither? (Access 2003)

I have an extremely large database in which I am working. One field on the main table is missing the data I need, but that data is housed in another table. Let me be a little more specific.....In the main table I need to have the program code field populated. Each program code is connected to an organization code. Each program code has multiple organization codes associated with it. In the main table, I have the org. code. In a separate table, I have each program code with all of the organization code associated with the program code.

I wanted to find a way to use the table with the program codes and org codes to populate the main table using the org code as the connection. I thought I could use an update query or an autofill query, but I couldn't figure out how to do either. What can I do?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: update query, autofill query, other, or neithe

Hi there

Welcome to the Lounge.

You could create a look up table with the various codes and then have a multi column combo box and connect it to either the table or the form combo box
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: update query, autofill query, other, or neither? (Access 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Strictly speaking, there is no need to fill the Program Code field, since it is derived information. You can create a select query based on the two tables, joined on the Organization Code field, and use that instead of the table in the record source of forms and reports.

If you do need to fill the Program Field because the select query is too slow, you should be able to use an update query based on the two tables, joined on the Organization Code field. Set the 'Update to' line for the Program Code field in the main table to [Other Table].[Program Code] (with the appropriate names substituted, of course)