3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros Toolbars (Office 2007)

We sent out the first notice to let the campus know we will be moving to Office 2007 (not vista yet though) in a few weeks. The first concern was in regards to macros and menu bars. Does anyone have a response to the following question from a heavy macro user?? see below...

One question, though -- MSWord operates from a file called Normal.dot (found in Cocuments and SettingsuserApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates)

will that file be overwritten? and if it is, will a stored copy of it be put back to overwrite any new one ... and still function as the defaults for MSWord? I use a lot of macros and have customized the menu bars.

Thanks for any info on the above. I do have a handout that points out important tips and also explains how to customize the quick access toolbar.
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros Toolbars (Office 2007)

Normal.dot will not be overwritten, but renamed to Normal11.dot, and an new default template Normal.dotm will be created. See Migration considerations for Word 2007 for instructions on renaming these files so that the old customizations can be used in Word 2007.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans. The Migration considerations for Word 2007 is very helpful. I cannot find anything about the macros and .bas files though. Another user sent questions....see below. I already know that the Ribbon bar cannot be completely modified by the user. Any info on .bas migration? I guess I can just have him send me the .bas file and see if the macro runs.

1) can Normal.dot (which impacts the ribbon bar and carries macros) be kept?
    2) can .bas files (the macros) from word 2003 be imported into word 2007?
    3) can the ribbon bar be completely customized by the user?

Thanks

On #1, see above.

On #2, if someone exported .bas files from the VB Editor in an earlier version of Office, then they can be re-imported into a project in the VB Editor in a later version of Office. (Will they compile/run? This assumes the proper references are set and the object models and code are compatible between the two versions...)

On #3, the ribbon is created using XML files. We've had some threads on customizing those, perhaps on the VB/VBA board. It's quite different than the Office 2000-2003 CommandBars approach.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1) Macros and custom toolbars are stored in Normal.dot. The method described in the article will make them available in Word 2007 (the old Word 2003 Normal.dot will be renamed to Normal.dotm and become the default template in Word 2007).

2) One only uses .bas files to export VBA modules from Normal.dot (or from other documents/templates) and to import them elsewhere, not to run macros. It should still be possible to import .bas files into the new Normal.dotm template.

3) I don't have Office 2007 myself, someone who does will have to answer this question.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both!! I really appreciate it.

Melanie