Thread: Drives (Vista)

Lounger
    Thanks

Drives (Vista)

I am not really familiar with the new Vista and need a bit of information on the drives. I know Drive C is the drive where we put all our files, pictures, documents in it. It has 81% free space left. ( 290 GB's left)
    Drive D is the recovery drive , right?
    The computer did an automatic backup. Actually it ended up in Drive D and it has only 7% of free space left. Why so little space left? How do I get the space back?
    Drive E has 97% free space left. ( 298 GB's left). It is for pictures, videos, if I am not mistaken.
    Drive F is the disc drive where you have your CD, right?
    The drive G, H, I, J, K is empty and may be bought later if I need more space, right?
    Actually my computer is a HP Pavilion Vista Media Center m8020n and also purchased the personal media drive, actually it is Drive L with 300GB's.
    Sorry for all these questions, better to put them together than to make a thread for each question.
    When I used my computer for the first time, it automatically backed up and did not know what to do until it finished and found out that it backed into Drive E and turned off automatic backup to manual mode as well as my automatic updates to manual mode. Why would the factory leave it in automatic mode?
    I remember that CompUSA opened my box and made a restore disc for my computer because it did not come with a restore disc and had to pay 30 bucks for it.
    Bad Max

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Drives (Vista)

Normally the the recovery drive is hidden and only bee seen with a drive tools or the restore wizard. I am NOT sure what your "D" drive is, but most are a CD or DVD. The others are most likely the Memory Chip reader drives.

Sounds like you need to read the manual that came with your system and then you can tell us about all of these drives. For starters if you open my computer and right click each drive and then properties, this will tell you a lot about the drive including type, size and usage.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

The information I wrote came from the open my computer and right click each drive and properties. The Drive D concerns me because it is almost empty, it is a recovery drive. Could it be removed and put into Drive L (personal media drive) instead? I had this computer for two weeks and Drive D is almost full, only 456 MB's left. Does not make any sense. I may need to call HP Tech Support and ask for info.
    Bad Max

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Compaq Presario with Vista Home Basic has a C and a D Drive on it. C is where all my stuff is kept. D is where the backup is located, actually the complete OS (drivers, etc). This D is where I was told to make DVD or CD discs, as there were no Restore discs given. I have made 10 CD discs. I can, if I want, to delete the restore data from the D Drive...but I'm the type of user that I will just keep that data there - space is no object (160GB). I will never run out of space on my C Drive - I don't do photos, music, etc. I am the only user on this computer.
    Each person using a computer must decide for themselves what they want to do.