Thanks

Exchange error 0x80040115 (2003)

I am having some occasional problems with Outlook 2003 running under Exchange on my work laptop connected to my home ISP via a Linksys wireless router. I will sometimes get an error "Microsoft Exchange Server reported error (0x80040115): The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be connected to complete this action"

This happens during automatic send/receive. The tech support guy cl;ims it is something on my end (of course...). So I tried to enable Outlook error logging. However, nothing ever gets logged, so I am suspecting that this functionality does not work under Exchange (why not?).

When this error occurs, I can still get to IE pages, so the connection exists and hasn't been dropped. Any ideas on what I can do to log some info about this error and maybe help the tech support guy solve the problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Exchange error 0x80040115 (2003)

This does not have to do with your internet connection. It has to do with configuring and connecting to the Exchange server. What version of Exchange server? Have you look in the application event log on your PC? See if you can get your support guy to look at some of the KB articles from Search The Knowledge Base.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Yeah, the problem is when you have to deal with tech people who think they know it all, sigh. TOo many want to point the finger at the user and minimize their work load.

Anyway, no, there aren't any entries in the event log. And since Outlook apparently doesn't enable internal logging in an Exchange environment, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to get a record of how often or when these errors occur. Thanks Microsoft!

Administrator
    Thanks

You might try opening Outlook with the "/Rpcdiag" switch (without the quotation marks) for a while. That switch opens Outlook and displays the remote procedure call (RPC) connection status dialog. See if you can catch anything from your end.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Joe knows the server side and I don't - it would help him if you could advise which Exchange Server version you are connecting to, and if you are in Cached mode - check under Tools | Email Accounts | View or Change Existing | Next select the MS Exchange Server, | Change, and you should see the Cached Mode check box status, then Close without changing anything.

Also, in Navigation Pane Folder view, see if anything is reported in your Sync Issues Folders, especially the Server Failures Folders, and report it back to this thread.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Yes, I am running cached mode. I do not see any folder named "Sync issues" or anything similar. Is there a way to get the Exchange version externally? I of course have the name of the Exchange Server.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you can use OWA (Outlook Web Access), you can find out the Exchange version by going to Options | About. There should be a server version listed. "sync issues" does not appear in the mail view of Outlook. You need to use the 'folders' view. BTW, in reviewing this thread I noticed in your original post you said this happens occasionally. How often out of each ten times you connnect?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

The Synch issue folder is now being shown. It was hidden somehow. We are running Exchange Server 2003 I have been told. The tech guy is now blaming the problem on my wireless network connection, claiming that the connection must be dropping regularly. I don't think that is happening but even if it was, the connection reconnects if it gets dropped automatically anyway. However, I have switched over to a full wired connection for a while to see what happens.

btw (for the future): Is there something I can run to monitor a wireless connection and log any drops?

Thanks

I have been running wired for 3 days now and have not encountered any instances of the error I previously reported. Therefore, much as it pains me, I have to admit that the tech was apparently right in blaming the wireless connection.

My wireless router is a Linksys G box. Obviously tying my laptop to a wired connection restricts my flexibility. Are there any possible reasons why Exchange would have a problem with wireless routers? Some parameter that needs to be tweaked on Exchange (we did try changing the timeout parm in Outlook from 30 seconds to 180 seconds but that didn't help).

Administrator
    Thanks

See monitor dropped wireless connection - Google Search for links. The first of which Linksys wireless network - dropped connections - Tech Support Guy Forums seems familiar. Also, Exchange does not have problems with wireless routers/connections. It does not even 'know' what kind of connection you are using. Use Microsoft Windows XP - Tracert to see what route you are taking to get from your PC to the Exchange server. There are many points of failure along the way. BTW, do you have the latest firmware for the router?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks. Yes I have the latest firmware but it hasn't been updated in over a year because it is one of the older versions of the Linksys G speedbooster router. Apparently, Linksys only updates inside of a version number. They don't update across versions. So I have version 2.x and it looks like they run up to version 6.x now. They killed version 2 and don't look like they are updating it anymore.