2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Switching from Office Pro 2002 to 2003 -- caveats? (XP SP2)

I have Office Professional Edition 2002. I recently bought Office Professional Edition 2003. I now want to uninstall 2002 and install 2003. It sounds so simple in principle but my gut tells me that with such a complex and sweeping move, and Microsoft being Microsoft, something could go wrong.

Will I lose ANY functionality from my previously-created Office Documents? I know I'll have to reload my Excel add-ins, but they should work fine , yes? Are there any other unwelcome surprises in store or precautions to take (other than backing up my data)?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Switching from Office Pro 2002 to 2003 -- caveats? (XP SP2)

Most of the time, a newer version will ask if it can uninstall the older version.

Also note that "some" Office add in's will not work with the newer versions. You need to check with the supplier of the add in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're going to uninstall Office 2002, you'll lose all your personal settings. You can save some of them beforehand.
    For Word: your Normal.dot template, Custom.dic dictionary, *.acl autocorrect lists.
    For Excel: your Excel10.xlb file with toolbar customizations etc., Personal.xls macro file, and perhaps xlusrgal.xls custom chart formats.
    For Outlook (if you use it): your .pst files (e-mails, appointments, contacts, ...), vbaproject.otm macros, outlook.nk2 nickname file, outcmd.dat toolbar customizations.

Outlook 2003 has a new file format that handles unicode. You may want to use that, and import your old e-mails into the new .pst file.

Apart from that, the differences between Office XP and 2003 are mostly cosmetic.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, Hans -- thanks very much.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

One thing that irritated everyone in our office when we were switched to Office 2003 a few months ago was Word's insistence that documents opened with track changes on and displaying Final Showing Markup.

The solution is in the options section under security and is well documented here so I will not repeat it except to say that after fixing the setting, I opened normal.dot and set it the way I wanted documents to open.

Cheers, Geoff

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Geoff!