Lounger
    Thanks

WinXP Pro freezes during Clean Install (WinXP Pro)

Help! I have been working this problem for almost a week and can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I am working on an older Gateway Laptop that was bought with WinXP Pro pre-installed. The owner ended up getting a virus and multitudes of SPAM that completely shut down his system. We are attempting to do a full up Clean Install using his original recovery disks. Each time we try to install we get a complete system freeze w/ 2 minutes left during "Finalizing Installation"/"Saving Settings". To try and troubleshoot what is happening, we have accomplished the following using technical help from Gateway. NOTE: we performed a format of HD prior to each of these steps.

1. Scanned HD with GWScan 5.11 from Gateway - No errors found/clean install still stops w/ 2 minutes left
    2. Using GWScan, wrote all 1s on drive, rescanned drive - No errors found/clean install still stops w/ 2 minutes left
    3. Swapped out HDs - Scanned HD - No errors found/clean install still stops w/ 2 minutes left
    4. Returned original drive to system and redid #3, with same results
    5. Obtained another WinXP Pro disk for temporary use - Formated/Installed with same results
    6. Purchased additional RAM, installed it - Installed with same results

Prior to my taking over this troubleshooting another person was able to load Linux onto the system, just to see if it would take, and according to him it went perfectly. Now, would any of this cause the problems I am seeing now? Is there something I need to specially look for since Linux was on previously, or am I overlooking something obvious. Please reply with any help you can give.

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXP Pro freezes during Clean Install (WinXP

This DOES look like a tough one and you've been through a lot already with it! It does seem that, after trying a different HDD and XP Pro installation disk in two separate runs, the problem is pointing to the "hardware" in some other manner, like BIOS bad, or something else on the motherboard bad... The only thing about my premise that gives me pause is your statement that someone else was able to successfully install Linux. Could you possibly get your hands on a Win98SE boot disk and use it to FDISK and format the hard drive, THEN see if XP will install?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: WinXP Pro freezes during Clean Install (WinXP Pro)

You should also use fdisk with the /mbr switch to rewrite the Master Boot Record on the disk.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your inputs. I have a WIN98SE boot disk and will try it, but I don't know what the /mbr switch is; what is this and what are the steps in using it?

Thanks

I'll pop in here to say when you boot to the A: prompt, you type <big>C: fdisk /mbr</big>

"fix Disk" will then attempt to repair the Master Boot Record on the C drive.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's the Microsoft explanation: FDISK /MBR rewrites the Master Boot Record

It's usually not required or applicable, but in this case since you ARE trying to rebuild an entire hard drive, Joe's right in suggesting you try it. I would boot with the Win98 floppy to a prompt. Then first run fdisk /mbr as an initial pass. I don't remember for sure, but I don't think there is any "output" from the command. In your second pass, I would then use FDISK to "re-do" the hard drive by deleting the partition, re-creating it again and when that's completed, run the Win98 FORMAT command on the drive.

Later, when you run the Win XP installer, you can change to NTFS if that's your preference (I'd recommend it). Keep us posted.

Thanks

Sorry Doc,
    didn't mean to step on you in this thread. Didn't see you on line.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I NEVER take it that way, Bob. Like you did, I first looked to see if Joe was around. All we want to do is help the dude, right?

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, here goes:
    1. Booted to WIN98SE
    2. fdisk /mbr
    3. Deleted non-DOS partition (only partition on HDD)
    4. Created Primary DOS partition and made it active
    5. Formated drive
    6. Booted to Gateway recovery disk converting to NTFS
    7. System freezes w/ 2 minutes left (No change)

I'm at a loss of where to go now...

Suggestions?

Thanks

There are MANY suggestions and fixes listed on THIS SITE
    Scroll down and try to pick some that are closest to the problem you are experiencing and click on those links for more info. It's a long list!
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

I thank you all for your help and guidance. I will be holding off on this project for a little while as my back surgery is beginning to take a bit of a toll on me. I am not able to devote the attention I believe this problem needs. As I convalesce, I will return to this thread and try and work through the additional suggestions from the link provided.

Again, thank you all for your help and I will return as soon as I can to complete this.