tolan002

Syncing Between Home & Office Directories

I have the same several directories both at home and at the office where there is a need to sync each day. What is the best way to do this? I would transport the data on zip disks to and from each location.

ileacy

Re: Syncing Between Home & Office Directories

Why not use the standard Briefcase feature and keep your briefcase on the ZIP disk?

tolan002

I found Briefcase extremely slow when working with zip disks. I found a utility called "Compare Copy" that works very well. The only problem is it is an all or nothing copy. You do not have the flexibility like in Briefcase where you can skip files or change the direction of the copy. I would like the flexibility of Briefcase and the speed of Compare Copy. Are there other utilities out there?

Greg

ileacy

Ok, this one is not free but should do everything you want.

Synchronize It! by Grig Software
    http://www.grigsoft.com/winsin.htm

tolan002

Thanks so much!!! It looks like it is exactly what I needed. I've only been using it for the past 10 minutes and works great!

ril

It sounds like you found what you needed, but if it doesn't work out for some reason, you may want to try Second Copy 2000 at www.centered.com

I've recommended it before, and people really seem to like it. (No affiliation here...[img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img])

ileacy

Hi ril.

I use a previous version of SecondCopy. Find it great for "automatic" backups of key areas, however, not so good as a general transport tool between systems.

EG. I keep WinSin on my notebook and use it to refresh from/update client info on their servers.

Does the latest version of Second Copy do a better job of this?

ghandlin

Another option would be to use http://www.fusionone.com . I use it to sync folders and my Outlook info.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My favorite sync program is FileSync. It checks date, filesize, and even does a binary compare of each source file to determine if it's different from the target file. It's great for doing CD-RW backups.
    Check it out:
    http://www.fileware.com
    [img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]
    -MarkJ-