5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB to SATA Adapter

Just wondering if anyone has had experience using a USB to SATA Adapter. I have a friend that has had a problem with his hard drive in a DELL. It is a SATA drive. The drive is not recognized but I was hoping we might be able to recover his personal files. My computers are all EIDE types. So I thought with a USB to SATA adapter, I might be able to access the drive. Has anyone used this type of adapter with success? Does anyone have a recommendation as to which adapter to buy? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: USB to SATA Adapter

Hi Trebor,
    I have such an adapter, purchased in Australia. It has USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE cable on the box.
    The complete unit comes with all cables, and works a treat. Not much good scanning the box as it tells you nothing. The power supply has the following information
    QUAN HONG
    Xiang Fu Electronic Co Ltd
    Model FU-06060S-12
    One thing to be careful of is that from the power supply to the Molex there is an inline switch, which was not obvious to me when I first connected, amazingly after I switched on the switch it worked.
    The following link http://www.pccasegear.com/prod3578.htm is exactly the unit I purchased.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I had a look at this area when I wanted a (PATA and SATA)-to-USB adapter, and looked through a huge (UK) list of possibilities of PATA-to-USB and SATA-to-USB external disk enclosures before finding the one or two which allowed you to use the one or the other disk type. You may find similar availability in your region?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure if it's a good match, but <!profile=Pilgrim>Pilgrim<!/profile> has discussed this "eSATA" topic in a few threads like <post:=611,127>post 611,127</post:> and <post:=619,249>post 619,249</post:>.