New Lounger
    Thanks

MS Word Fill-In Field (Word XP)

I have designed a form using the field fill-in option in Word. When opened it will automatically require certain fields to be populated. I have noticed that it needs to be saved has a template to get it to work correctly.

The problem is that I want to attach this to our coperate database but I can't because it needs to be in .doc format and not .dot. Is there anyway to use this fill-in field option as .doc?

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Word Fill-In Field (Word XP)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

You could put the following code in the ThisDocument module of the document:

Private Sub Document_Open()
    ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
    End Sub

This will cause all fields in the document to be updated when it is opened. The fill-in fields will display their prompts.

Note: this will only work if users haven't set macro security to High, and if they enable macros when prompted. You could get around this by signing the code with a digital certificate.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I tried your suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't work. Because the document is attached to our corporate database there are macros from the database already placed in the Normal.dot template and I think they may be conflicting. Is there any shortcuts that will refresh the document and bring up the prompts.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can select the part of the document containing the fill-in fields (or press Ctrl+A to select the entire document) and press F9 to update the fields within the selection. This should cause the fill-in prompts to be displayed.