3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security Hole? (2003 SP2)

I have setup a split database with security on both front-end and back-end and created a desktop short cut to join "secureddb.mdw" and open the secured database. For testing purposes I created one login for each level, "Full Permissions", "Full Data", etc.

I tried opening Access using the Start Menu, ensuring I had joined the work group "securedb.mdw", creating a blank database, then importing objects from the original split 'secure' database.

Have I missed something here? I mean, if I decided to distribute a commercial database with a desktop shortcut icon for 'secure' logon, what's to stop anyone reading the properties of the icon to determine the workgroup then doing what I did in the previous paragraph?

Did I leave something out in the security setup process?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Hole? (2003 SP2)

Did you remove the default Admin user from the Admins group and did you take away most or all permissions from Admin? Both steps are essential

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Hole? (2003 SP2)

See Frequently Asked Questions About Microsoft Access Security for Microsoft Access for detailed info (although it's for Access 2 through 2000, it applies to Access 2002 and 2003 too).