Thread: Themes (2007)

Thanks

Themes (2007)

I can't seem to change theme colors in Excel 2007. I have some garish colors in a spreadsheet I copied over from Excel 2003. But when I try to select any of the pre-built theme colors, nothing happens. I've tried selecting the whole spreadsheet first but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Themes (2007)

Are you trying to change a color of a cell by applying a different theme color, or do you want to change one of the built-in color of an existing theme?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by ibe98765 on 30-May-07 21:32. Attachment didn't seem to upload)</P>I tend to use colors liberally in Excel. So I like to shade cell ranges, columns rows in different colors. I had a standard set of colors in Excel 2003. I could copy the color palette from one sheet to another via the options menu. Themes seem to have replaced this functionality in Office 2007. So I read the help and it seemed like IF I had shaded various rows in different colors, that selecting another theme should change those colors. This doesn't seem to work. So that is what I am trying to do.

Now, I just tested this with a brand new spreadsheet (see below) and it worked fine. By sliding down the themes I was able to change the colors. However, when I take an old 2003 spreadsheet and operate on it in 2007, whether in XLS or XLSX format, the changing of theme colors doesn't seem to work????
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have 2007, but my guess is that only colors in the (limited) palette are replaced. If you had happened to use some or all colors from such a palette, they would have changed.

Thanks

Well, whatever it is, I don't see what the mapping is between old spreadsheets (pre-2007) and the new 2007 format. I haven't yet found anything from MS discussing this.

Thanks

My understanding of Themes is that they will not override any specific formatting you have applied (eg manually changing the fill colour of a range); they will only alter the default formats.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Well that stinks. There must be some way to set a default color palette like you could do in Excel 2003 and before. Excel 2007 is certainly using some sort of default colors because it changed all my colors to garish looking colors when I copied 2003 sheet and pasted it into 2007.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

By design you can only have cells change their color when switching themes if the cell is formatted with a theme color in the first place. Legacy Excel files don't have theme colors, so their cells don't adhere to built-in 2007 themes. You will have to update all cells so their fill is done using a theme color.

A good way to do that is to search by cell format: control-f, click the Options button, then click the format button, click the "Patterns" tabe, select your color and click find all. Then hold shift and drag down the listed items. Close the find dialog and change the cell fill by selecting a theme color.

You have to repeat that for each worksheet and for each fill color I'm afraid.

Maybe someone will come up with a theme applying tool for this purpose...
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

All I can say is wow! Microsoft has done some pretty dumb things over the years, but if correct, this would deserve a place near the top for inconveniencing users. I mean, having to manually change colors in what could be hundreds or even thousands of spreadsheets for each user?