Star Lounger
    Thanks

British Spell Check (Word 2003/SP2)

I need to be able to run a purely British (English (U.K.)) spellcheck in Word. I have changed my normal style language to English (U.K.), set English (U.K.) as my default, change my input language to English (U.K.) and changed my keyboard to English (U.K.). I am able to get some U.S. spellings to show as misspelled , but others do not appear as misspelled. For example, "color" will show as misspelled and "colour" will show as a suggestion but "organization" does not appear as misspelled when it should and "organisation" should appear as a suggestion.

Does anyone know of a way to make Word conform to strictly British spelling and grammar rules? Is there a Word Add-in that I can download/purchase?
    finalword

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: British Spell Check (Word 2003/SP2)

The ize / ise spelling is controversial. My "small" Oxford English Dictionary has organize and organization as only variant - organise and organisation aren't even mentioned. See also the Wikipedia article on American and British English spelling differences for an explanation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

According to many websites, organize and organise are appropriate in British English. I'm sure this is why Word's spell check works the way it does. I spoke with some of my friends in London, though, and they insist that the "z" is never used. Any other ideas?
    finalword

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans gives the accepted view! But see also Are spellings like 'privatize' and 'organize' Americanisms?.

I'm with you on organise, though, and no doubt the OED will come round to this point of view sooner or later, since that is the usual spelling in the UK. (But remember that a McJob is still a McJob!)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you can use Oxford Spellchecker and Dictionary (a commercial product). According to the developer, it features

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have struck the same problem. I try and tell my clients that "organize" IS the way to spell it - but they insist it is an Americanism. Is it possible to do something with AutoCorrect for specific words they don't like?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have been doing some writing for a UK Government organisation called the Office of Government Commerce and they insist that we use the -ize and -ization endings, but spell words like colour the English way. They have told me that these are correct (if somewhat unusual) English spellings, and make their documents more acceptable to the international market.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, that would work. You can add organize > organise, organized > organised, organizing > organising, organizer > organiser and organization > organisation to the AutoCorrect list. Make sure the language is set to the appropriate version of English before you do so.