2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Schedule Resources (Project 2003)

I have create a project. It is loading software on some computers. Here is my question. To load software task it will take 8 hours. So I put in a duration of 1 day or 8 hours. Now when a schedule a person to do the install, it only take 1 hours of his time to load the software. The other 7 hours , it loads the software on the machine without him doing anything. He could go do something else. How do I show that on my loading software task? Thanks in advance.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Schedule Resources (Project 2003)

Duration and Work Effort are different fields stored in Project so there is no correspondence with the duration of the task and the work effort required to complete the task. Example a task can take 2 days duration and with one full time resource assigned this is 8 hours total work, with 2 full time resources assigend this would be 16 hours total work or a part time resources assigned may only result in 2 hours work. The easist screen setup to assign resources is the split view Gantt Chart, Task form combination. I have also included a short overview of resource assignment information.

Projects Scheduling Formula
    Project uses the scheduling formula:
    Work = Duration * Units

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Schedule Resources (Project 2003)

Was the answer you got the one you were looking for?
    If not...
    If you want to reflect that another task can start earlier because the tech is free you can make the next task have a lead time on it and make a note that the tech has done the initial install and is free to do the next task.
    On longer tasks you can also adjust the amount of work being put into the task on a given day by changing the work contour.