New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost autoclose of blank document (11/2003 SP2)

One of Excel's nicest features has disappeared sometime this spring. I don't even know what it was called, so searching for help has not been easy.

When I launched Excel (button on my keyboard), a blank .xls workbook opened. Then when I opened the file in which I wanted to work, the start up blank workbook closed on its own. Now it just stays open, the way the start up with a blank document does in the other office apps.

It's been a very busy time, and I'm not hitting on all 8. I could easily have turned something off, but do not know what that might be. Or this could be the result of some update designed to protect me from the world. Doesn't matter. I just want help restoring that very helpful automatic closure.

HC Crain
    hcrain@uwm.edu

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost autoclose of blank document (11/2003 SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

This is not normal behavior, and I can assure you that it is not caused by an update from Microsoft.

Do you happen to have created a default workbook template Book.xlt in your XLStart folder? Or do you have a workbook (apart from the personal macro workbook Personal.xls) in that folder? Either of those would be opened automatically when you start Excel, but they wouldn't close when you open a workbook.
    The default location of XLStart is Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLStart. In order to see this folder in Windows Explorer, you must show hidden files and folders.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!

I've created & downloaded a few templates, but they aren't stored in XLStart. I've customized Styles, and made a few changes in Options. The Book1 that comes up at launch (and won't autoclose) has my customizations.

When I looked at the XLStart folder, I found no file at all! Nor was there a file in the All Users area nor the Default users. In *my* Excel folder (one level above XLStart) there was a file named Excel11.xlb. That seems to be the file location set for autorecovery copy.

Given your post, I searched for anything ".xlt." BOOK.XLT is stored in Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11 and was modified in February of this year. I copied it and pasted into hcrainApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLStart, then launched Excel. That's my normal workbook, but still no autoclose. Maybe after a restart. <S>.

HC Crain
    hcrain@uwm.edu

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following:

- Quit Excel.
    - Move all copies of Book.xlt out of the folders where they are stored now.
    - Restart Excel, and see if the blank workbook will close when you open a workbook.

Note: Excel11.xlb contains customizations to toolbars, custom lists etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I moved Book.XLT to a folder in My Documents where I keep backups of templates. Launched Excel, the opened another workbook. Book1 closed on its own! Thanks!

HC Crain

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Great. So now the choice is up to you - either use the template Book.xlt with your personal settings and lose the automatic closing of the initial workbook, or forego the use of Book.xlt and enjoy the automatic closing of the initial workbook.