New Lounger
    Thanks

Help/updates/reinstall vista ultimate (vista ultimate)

Hi every1. i would appreciate some help/advice on which updates I need to install that automatically appear when you reinstall windows vistal ultimate. i know that some updates will not apply to me because I do not have that particular device or program. Also i am a heavy mmo player. i would like some advice for updates, drivers, security, things of that nature because of my mmo playing. i would also appreciate knowing if there is a list of patches or updates (what they are needed for and if they are advisable to apply) on this or any other website that is independent of Microsoft. If such a list is available please advise. Here is a list of the reference numbers to the updates that automatically appear.
    KB931768
    KB925902
    KB930178
    KB929399
    KB930857
    KB890830
    KB932818
    KB905866
    KB928089
    KB931099
    KB931573
    KB932246
    KB936824
    KB929735
    They also give me the option to update my device drivers on the windows update program. Should I update from there or from each manufacturer's website. Also, on the update page there are options for 30 or so languages. I do not speak these languages, do they translate these languages into english or vice versa. do I need to apply them, if I do not speak them? Thank you for your time and effort in replying to my inquiries and/or any advice you wish to impart to me.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help/updates/reinstall vista ultimate (vista u

Generally speaking, I run two main screening tests before deciding whether to go ahead and install an update:<UL><LI>does it apply to software that I am never going to use (in my case Windows Media Player) - or only use under very restricted circumstances (in my case Internet Explorer - which I only use for accessing Windows Update sites)?<LI>has it given rise to any problems that are known - for this I tend to refer mainly to this site?[/list]If the patches come through these tests, then I will install them - even if they relate to stuff that I only might conceivably use - or have to use.

The driver updates I always install - unless they are for something that I will never ever use.

In other words, I recognise that patches may have unexpected side effects - but, if they appear to be risk-free improvements/protection for something I have any risk exposure to, I will install them. Better safe than sorry.

HTH
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Help/updates/reinstall vista ultimate (vista ultimate)

I generally will install any update from MU except device drivers even if I don't think it applies to what I'm currently using. There are so many interactions and interdependencies now that it is very difficult to tell if any software progam is really isolated from others. My tendency is to not update the day it is released but wait a day or two to see if there is any big problem. Even then you really need to investigate what the issue is as many times it is isolated to a particular piece of hardware or a particular combination of programs or a particular combination of hardware & software.

As far as device drivers go, I generally check the manufacturers site. In the past, the drivers that have ended up on the MU site have tended to be older than the most current from the OEM. That may change with Vista but for now I'll monitor what is on MU and still depend on the OEM.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help/updates/reinstall vista ultimate (vista ultimate)

I install ALL "Security" and "Critical" updates which come through Automatic Updates.

I never install "Device Drivers" updates that come through Automatic Updates, UNLESS the manufacturer specifically says to do so. For example, I had an Epson Printer (Stylus Photo R200) which needed an updated driver for Vista. Epson ONLY provides an updated driver for this printer via Microsoft Update, which they label as "Inbox". Other than that exception, it is always best to get the full updated drivers from the manufacturer's website.

And, as to the Language updates . . . and this applies to any of the updates that appear in the list, you can simply right-click on them and choose "Ignore". They will be displayed but they will be disabled, i.e., they will not be installed automatically.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator