3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Histogram issue (2003)

Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

I'm incredulous. I usually use office 2000, and am currently having to use 2003. I fell foul of the histogram range bug http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896014, and was astonished to find at the bottom of the page that it also applies to Office 2007. Is it really possible that this bug hasn't been fixed? It would be a good reason not to upgrade for me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Histogram issue (2003)

Since Microsoft mentions Excel 2007 explicitly in the MSKB article, we may safely assume that the bug hasn't been fixed. It is annoying, but the workaround (don't use spaces in the workbook name) isn't too bad, is it?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I find the workaround really quite intrusive. Finding space on the original sheet to place the output is not a problem, but not being able to specify a bin range from a different worksheet is a big issue. As for renaming files, maybe it is a bad habit, but I've always made full use of the flexibility in file naming to give my files as meaningful names as possible, and, as I don't exchange files with many people, have not had to consider other operating systems in my naming conventions, so often use spaces. Renaming a file will break links to that file from other spreadsheets or access databases, a technique which I use regularly, if not often. So the workaround would involve saving a copy of the workbook with a different name, performing the analysis, and then importing the analysis sheet to the original workbook, and doing this every time I wanted to update the analysis.

I can't believe they knew about this and didn't fix it!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The MSKB article says "To work around this problem, use one of the following procedures". It doesn't say "both of the following procedures".

But yes, it is annoying...