5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edit Report design (2003)

I am trying to edit the design of a report. I click on a text box (or anything) to try to move it and it takes forever to move. I am trying to add some additional fields to the report but nothing is moving very fast. I click on a text box and hit ctrl and an arrow key to move it over and it doesn't move hardly. The query behind the report is a pivot query. I don't think I had this trouble creating the report. I even moved the database to the C drive thinking that would speed things up but it didn't. Is there a reason for it being hard to move the fields around and if so is there a way to make it easier to edit this report? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Edit Report design (2003)

Do you really mean a pivot query, or a crosstab query?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crosstab query - sorry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The column headings of the crosstab query can in theory be different each time the query is run, so Access keeps on checking the column headings; this is very time-consuming.

If possible, fix the column headings by opening the query in design view and setting the Column Headings property of the query to a comma-separated list, e.g.
    <code>
    "North","East","South","West"
    </code>
    (This is also a good way to specify the sort order of the column headings)

If the column headings are variable, this won't work, and you'll have a problem anyway since the report design is dependent on the column headings. You'll need to create a dynamic crosstab report. Do a search for those keywords in this forum, or go directly to <post#=35485>post 35485</post#>, <post#=134439>post 134439</post#> or <post#=248210>post 248210</post#>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Putting the headings in the query worked. It is now normal - I can move things around. It is amazing how that changed the whole report dynamic. The report creation slowed to a crawl. Thank you for your help.