3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best Way For Excel To Compute Ownersips (2003)

Can anyone assist with the best approach using Excel to determine amounts a company owns through a chain of related companies.

A small example is attached.

Any solution would need to be dynamic so any changes would result in updated results. The actual project I am working on will be for well over 100 companies and 8 to 9 levels.
    Is formulas, pivot tables, database,auto filters, advances filters, array formulas, or VBA the best approach, or perhaps this should be done in Access

Regards,

Tom Duthie
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best Way For Excel To Compute Ownersips (2003)

No doubt it's possible in Excel, using VBA or perhaps even making clever use of formulas, but I would do this in Access...
    The attached sample database demonstrates an approach using a recursive VBA function (i.e. a function that calls itself).
    The form frmOwnership lets you choose a parent company and child company from combo boxes. The text box below the combo boxes will show the percentage of ownership.

Notes:
    - There is no check that percentages add to 100%.
    - With many levels, it may take a while to calculate the percentage.
    - The function cannot handle companies owning themselves/circular relationships (A owns part of B directly or indirectly, and B owns part of A directly or indirectly).
    - No safeguards against such situations have been built in - you'll get an error message.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best Way For Excel To Compute Ownersips (2003)

Hans:

Thanks for your assistance and warnings.

The actual data is a download from other software and has been checked to ensure all ownership is 100%. In addition, by query the other software already confirmed there are no circular ownerships . Too bad the blasted other software won't do the tiered ownership computatons.

Based on your observations, I fully agree that Access is the best approach for this project.

If I run into further problems on this one I will post them to the Access Forum

Regards,

Tom Duthie