3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maxtor One Touch III

Having owned a Maxtor One Touch 1TB drive for over a year with no problems, I recently purchased a maxtor One Touch 1.5TB when the need arose.

The 1TB drive took about 1 hour to format under XP SP2 and is reasonably fast with a USB 2.0 interface. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the 1.5TB drive.

Using the exact same interface, in fact I used the same cable, it took 3 DAYS to format and crawls along. I've looked all over the web for any similar comments and have found nothing. Has anybody else had the same experience?

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Maxtor One Touch III

Have you tried CHKDSK x: /F /V /R on it, or had a look in the System Event Log for any disk-related errors?

I presume you have contacted Maxtor Technical Support, who will undoubtedly given you a Return Authorisation.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks fore the suggestions John. I did the CHKDSK and looked in the system event log with no success. The Maxtor dealer replaced the drive but could offer no suggestions as to why the situation arose. Unfortunately the same happens with the new drive. I am trying to persuade the dealer to give me two 1TB drives to replace the unusable one but so far he is resisting.

A colleague suggested loading the XP drivers for the drive but that didn't work eather.

Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I would suggest that you could ask for a full refund because clearly the drives aren't performing to specification.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just an update. I eventually gave up on the drive and reformatted it using the Quick format option. this seems to have cured the problem. The drive now whizzes along. I communicated my good fortune to the Maxtor dealer who shrugged and asked me if I wanted to buy any more of them. After this experience I think all readers will be able to guess my reply.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell